This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Desktop grid?

On a friends computer (not Kubuntu) I have seen that the desktop shows a grid when the user moves or resizes a widget. This seems to be a special desktop mode. Is this also availabe for Kubuntu? It is not offered in the desktop settings as it is on my friend's desktop. I guess I have to install some additional package - but which?

Re: Desktop grid?

Your post piqued my interest so I took a look at Desktop Settings. Under Layout there's a choice called Grid Desktop. I applied it and then added/moved a widget and it did what I think you're describing. Give it a try!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Alas I don't have that "Grid Desktop" option there. I guess I have to install some additional package - but which?

Comment

"Grid Snap" is a plugin in CompizConfig Settings Manager ?
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Pondus
          Alas I don't have that "Grid Desktop" option there. I guess I have to install some additional package - but which?
          I don't know because I didn't install anything extra/special. So it must come from some KDE component that I *did* install.

Wait--which version of Kubuntu are you running? I'm using 11.04.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
            "Grid Snap" is a plugin in CompizConfig Settings Manager ?
            I definitely did not install that--in fact, I installed NOTHING to do with Compiz, so at least in my case that's not where it's coming from.

Comment

Menu/system settings/desktop effects/window management

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                Menu/system settings/desktop effects/window management
                No, that's Desktop Grid. The OP is referring to Grid Desktop; see my earlier post.

Comment

Thanks, I just discovered that I'm dyslexic!
                  woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                    Thanks, I just discovered that I'm dyslexic!

Comment

Thanks for trying to figure this out. It's in the package plasma-containments-addons.

Comment

Re: [Solved] Desktop grid?

LOL
                        The "grid" actually goes back to the old "IBM" days when they tried to "do windows".

I can't find an image of it but there was one in the old Compute Gazette!! which was DESTROYED by some fourth party money channel for Microsoft that actually had an image of a screen that IBM did....

Back "then" it was "EVIL BIG BLUE".....now it is EVIL MICROSOFT.....

But anyway.....the players may change but the result is the same.....

IBM had a "window" system on their OBLIGATORY ..."green screen" that was, as best as I can remember.... two high and four wide....

each "box" had a different set of applications in it....

like the first box on top was...OFFICE.... second box was...GAMES.....

IBM really did not have a clue....

if anyone has a hardcopy of the picture of an IBM machine with the grid on the screen please post it.

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: [Solved] Desktop grid?

but that has nothing to do with the grid of the kde desktop which is just for easier precise aligning of objects

Comment

Working...
                          X