X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless startup after login with Knetwork manager

Hi,

I just installed Kubuntu 11.04 (with all the latest updates) on my wife's notebook. Previously Kubuntu 7.04 was installed.

With 7.04 after logging in Knetwork manager would effectively startup, causing kdewallet to request the password for access and then the wireless network would start up.

With 11.04 this does not appear to be happening. I have to click in the task bar on the wlan icon and then click on the wifi connection. At that point kdewallet pops up, I enter the password, and then the wireless connection completes.

While we can live with this it would be nicer for my wife if it basically operated as in the past.

In the Edit Network Connection dialog I have "Connect automatically" selected, but this doesn't appear to do what I would expect.

I've tried to find some documentation that discusses this, and searched via Google as well. So far I have not found anything useful. E.g. clicking on the help button in the manager yield a not found page from Kubuntu help (and searching the help also turned up nada).

Wireless appears to be working fine, even after rebooting but it doesn't attempt to start automatically like it did with 7.04.

Could someone point me to docs that detail how to get network manager to kick off the wireless connection without manually accessing network manager?

Thanks,
    Burt

Re: Wireless startup after login with Knetwork manager

Hi Burt

2 things you can do :

1 - the simplest- is to go into the kwallet settings (system settings/Account details/kde wallet) and use the wallet manager to set a blank password. You shouldn't be bothered again.

2 - install the alternative connector, called wicd. If you do this you will need to completely remove network manager completely (including it's associated applications) otherwise a conflict will occur and your wireless will stop working.

In view of the above, if you want a quick fix, option 1 would seem easiest.

Comment

Click on the knetworkmanager widget, then click on Manage Connections. Select the connection you're using, then click the Edit button. Then make sure the Connect automatically box is checked.

Comment

Sometimes, deleting the entry for your wifi connection, and then re-adding it can fix this.

Comment

Working...
        X