Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set KDE back to default instead of Gnome? (after Virtualbox update)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set KDE back to default instead of Gnome? (after Virtualbox update)

Using Natty (and same problem previously with Lucid and Karmic)... Under Virtualbox. The problem arises when updating Virtualbox and the Guest Additions stuff in my Kubuntu guest. After updates, something goes wonky, initially booting Kubuntu gives some X11 error and I end up dumped into Gnome, which becomes the new default session.

Some of my search results say to select KDE and mark it as default session at the login screen, but this seems to assume the Gnome login screen. I have the KDE login screen, but it wants to dump me into Gnome by default. I found I can select KDE as my current session in the KDE login window, but I do not see something to mark it as my desired default.

Other search results say to edit files that don't exist (old answers from 2005 and such or for different distros).

I've found a workable answer in the past, but I don't seem to have bookmarked it and I can't find it today. :/

Re: How to set KDE back to default instead of Gnome? (after Virtualbox update)

I don't fully know if this will work, or whether you even want to do things this way, but you could try setting kubuntu to login automatically.

Select kmenu/system settings/user management/convenience and instruct the system to log you in automatically. That will normally mean the login screen is bypassed taking you straight into a KDE session.

Reboot and see if that works

Comment

Working...
    X