This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Unable to Remove Kde Panel or Reset Plasma Desktop

I wonder if someone could help, I have tried to help myself but keep failing.
    I foolishly started playing around with the KDE panel, I already had it at the top of the screen with docky running at the bottom, as an ex gnome user I find this setup more familiar, but KDE being KDE it kinda lends itself to be played around with, so I started playing around with the little resizing arrows, and the panel soon disappeared, no problem I just put a new blank panel there and filled it with all the things I had there before, everything seemed fine until I got an e-mail and I noticed I had two notifications, the same when I plugged in a usb stick and my music player, so I guessed that the original panel is still there and doing it's thing but out of sight, but I just can't get rid of the original (hidden) panel, I've basically got this problem:-

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111533.0

and I followed Snowhog's link:-

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8940#msg218940

I followed the instructions as best I could, (I'm not a newbie to linux just KDE4), and got nowhere, in particular the terminal script:-

mv /home/<username>/.kde /home/<username>/kdebackup

All I get from the virtual terminal when I enter that (and I do change <username> to my username) is:-

mv /home/<username>/.kde /home/<username>/kdebackup No Such File or Directory

I've tried creating a backup file in my home folder and that doesn't work either, I've also tried following various forums (SuSe) and this forum via the link above which say you have to modify this file:-

~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc

Fair enough but I either haven't got it or more probably can't find it, I log into Dolphin as root, but there is no .kde file in home, there is a kde4 folder in ~/usr/share/kde4 , but it hasn't got that file in it, If I use Konqueror I can't even log in as root, so basically what on Earth do I do to get rid of my original panel?, it's really annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Unable to Remove Kde Panel or Reset Plasma Desktop

first off you shouldn't be playing with your home folder as root (so we are gonna fix the permissions first)

open up konsole and
    [code=run in konsole]
    sudo chown -R <username>:<username> /home/<username>/.kde
    [/code]

this should fix your permissions.

now you have to make your backup folder...
    Code:
    mkdir ~/kdebackup
    now lets copy that .kde folder to the new folder
    Code:
    cp -r ~/.kde ~/kdebackup
    finally remove the old one
    Code:
    rm -r ~/.kde
    log out and back in , you should be set from there.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Sithlord48

Thankyou very much that worked a treat and I now have a virgin plasma desktop, but I did run into a problem with the last piece of code:-

rm -r ~/.kde

I get this output:-

rm: cannot remove `/home/<username>/.kde/share/apps': Directory not empty

but other than that it went great, before I mark the problem as solved should I try to resolve this problem first?

again thanks, I'll stand you the tipple of your choice

Comment

Originally posted by pasti
        Sithlord48

Thankyou very much that worked a treat and I now have a virgin plasma desktop, but I did run into a problem with the last piece of code:-

rm -r ~/.kde

but other than that it went great, before I mark the problem as solved should I try to resolve this problem first?

again thanks, I'll stand you the tipple of your choice
        Use

rm -rf ~/.kde

instead. That'll force the terminal to remove the directory.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

I get exactly the same output there wizard, but as I said I had a new plasma desktop, I understand that I need to remove the old file, but everything seems to be fine.

Comment

For future reference, resetting whole kde by removing ~/.kde (even if you backup first, which you should always do) is usually a needlessly heavy hammer for specific issues (it will work, but you'll remove more than what you need to remove).

For example, to reset plasma configs, you only need to remove plasma configuration:
            1. Stop plasma if it's running
            Code:
            kquitapp plasma-desktop
            (or plasma-netbook)
            2. purge plasma config files
            Code:
            rm ~/.kde/share/config/plasm*
            3. Restart plasma
            Code:
            plasma-desktop
            (or plasma-netbook)

rm -r ~/.kde

Was kde running when you tried to remove ~/.kde?
            (KDE will likely keep repopulating .kde while it's running, which can cause issues if you're trying to remove everything at the same time, for a clean removal of ~/.kde you should log out of kde and use a virtual terminal)

Comment

Thanks Kubicle

Yeah I did switch to a virtual terminal ctrl>alt>f1 and also tried the terminal from the login, ie before kde starts, but I still get the same message, and when I log out and back in after I do that the desktop resets, but I'm going to copy all the info everyone's given to a text file for future reference, so thanks very much everyone.

Comment

Sithlord48
                before I mark the problem as solved should I try to resolve this problem first?
                well as kubicle said previous to this you should really only need to remove the plasma* files from ~/.kde/share/config/ the rest is overkill but if you break something in kde (and have no clue what) this is how to reset your settings completely, you can then restore the configs from the backup and find your problem file this way.
                rm -r ~/.kde

switch to tty1 and
                [code=stop kdm]sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop[/code]
                try again then restart kdm with
                Code:
                sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
                your ~/.kde folder shouln't be in use at that point but by stoping kdm and using a tty we should insure the folder is not in use.

you can optionally try using
                Code:
                lsof ~/.kde
                and see what files are open making the dir unable to be removed.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                X