X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GVim: X Windows BadMatch Error

Hello Everyone,

Gvim is my favorite editor, and up until yesterday it was working perfectly. I think, however, that I may have mangled one of its settings while trying to make KDE look fancy.

In addition to modifying some system settings, such as desktop theme and font size, I downloaded LXDE and Unity2D desktop environments, as well as something called "Compiz Fusion." I realize now that I may have not downloaded the pre-requisite "Compiz." In any case, I uninstalled each of these last three items and even deleted my .kde folder in effort to make GVim work again.
    Still, here is the error that I am getting:

The program 'gvim' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
    (Details: serial 312 error_code 8 request_code 139 minor_code 1)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I thought perhaps I would have to change a line of the .gvimrc or some other file; I had an issue with Gvim once before when I installed GNOME. Then the fix was to edit a file in .gnome2 since since the file was issuing an impossible location for the menu bar. Maybe I have somehow enabled two conflicting window managers? I am not sure, but any advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Vim works fine from the terminal.

Re: GVim: X Windows BadMatch Error

Hey!

I solved my own problem. The issue was that I created a conflict by having two different installed versions of Gvim! I think this occurred when I decided to install GNOME alongside KDE. The fix was simple after realizing this: I just uninstalled one of the versions through KPackageKit. I was a little disappointed that no one responded to my post, but oh well, I'm learning... .

Comment

Re: GVim: X Windows BadMatch Error

I am also glad you found your solution. Likely, at least part of the reason you found no help was the Gnome part of the equation - Gosh darn it, e just don't do gnome here

In this case you might have had better response at the Ubuntu forums as there are Gnome and KDE lurkers there. Hey, maybe even Unity, but I doubt it...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X