X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrinking fonts

Hi,

I'm using KDE for quite some time now, but lately I'm experiencing some behaviour that's a bit of a nuisance. I use my laptop with an external screen so I can use both the laptop and external screen. Due to some bug (probably hardware or driver) the external may disconnect randomly, it doesn't happen often only once a day or twice a day at most. Unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable solves this problem, however fonts shrink at every reconnect, from barely readable to unreadable in just two reconnects. The shrunken fonts only show up on newly opened applications.

Does anyone know why the fonts keep on shrinking, a possible way to disable this behaviour or at a workaround to circumvent this?

Re: Shrinking fonts

You could try if forcing font DPI makes a difference:

SystemSettings>ApplicationAppearance>Fonts>ForceFo ntDPI>(96 DPI)

Comment

+1

This problem started on my system (natty) yesterday, after the kernel/nvidia updates. So far it is not happening on oneiric. The fonts not only shrink, but have become so light that I cannot read the screen anymore. I have to set the fonts to bold in systemsettings, I just cannot use applications like firefox and libreoffice, as I cannot read the screen at all.

I have tried changing fonts, setting the dpi, changing the font size, etc. Changing the size does make them bigger, but not darker. I think this is a bug of some kind.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I'm running on AMD/ATI drivers, so it may be in how X.org or KDE handles resolution changes. I tried changing the DPI settings before from 96dpi to Disabled (the problem existed before that) but that didn't seem to make any difference, I just changed it back to 96dpi and see what happens.

Comment

Bug report filed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/820368

please add to it if possible.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X