X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Shares

Hi!

I have an external hard drive share in my network through my router.
    I do this so i can access any files from any device at any time through wireless...

The problem is, if i want to open any file, KDE first copies that file into my computer and only then i get to open the file...
    In Gnome i could access the files as if they were stored locally in my computer.

Does anyone know how to enable the same behaviour in KDE?

Thanks

Re: Network Shares

Do you know what kind of file system this share is? Is it NTFS or a Linux share? And where is it located?

Comment

There's several ways this could be occuring. Samba doesn't stream by default and a direct mount will stream but an indirect mount usually won't unless it's NFS.

You'll have to give more information.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf
        In Gnome i could access the files as if they were stored locally in my computer.
        Natilus has a bad (and dangerous) habbit of automounting things like removeable drives, and samba shares.

in kde you will have to mount the samba share if you wish to stream from it. look in to using smbfs you will have to make a mount point and add a line to your /etc/fstab file. you should also be sure to add the _netdev option so it tries to mount only if network is up , you can also use the noauto option to make it so you have to mount it manually (it should shot in dolphins places bar) this is prolly better is you don't use it alot or the machine serving is not always up. your shares will be faster if you use NFS to share instead of samba.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X