Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Partially Figured Out>rootactions servicemenu no longer working? 10.04+kde4.5

I recently noticed that rog131's rootactions servicemenu functions are no longer functioning as they should. "Delete" as root takes my password but has no results, as does "Change to Current User".

Also odd; "Open File Manager" launches Konq instead of Dolphin as in the past and it takes a real long time to open. I checked and dolphin is set as my default filemanager, so I suspect that the root default is set to konq. At least it works, eventually.

I'm using version 2.6.90~lucid

EDIT: It appears that the issues in the first paragraph are because I was accessing an NFS share that is mounted with the "nosuid" option.

The second issue is likely solvable...

Please Read Me

Re: &lt;Partially Figured Out&gt;rootactions servicemenu no longer working? 10.04+kde4.5

...rog131's rootactions servicemenu...
    It is kubicle's:

> Topic: Root actions service menu:
    on: November 08, 2006, 08:17:00 am

I posted a 'root actions' service menu in kde-look.org that can be used an an alternate for the Edit-as-Root kubuntu action in konqueror...
    > Kde-Apps / Root Actions Servicemenu:
    Root Actions servicemenu provides a convenient way to perform several actions 'as root', from the right-click context menu in KDE filemanagers.

It aims to be distribution agnostic, if you experience issues in your distribution, drop me an email describing the issue.
    Any comments, criticism and improvement suggestions welcomed

..."Delete" as root takes my password but has no results, as does "Change to Current User".
    To get more feedback try to launch the rootaction through the konsole.

Look the desktop files:
    /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/10-rootactionsfolders.desktop
    /usr/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/11-rootactionsfiles.desktop

=>

Delete:
    Code:
    rootactions-servicemenu.pl root_delete "/path/to/file"
    i.e. something like:
    Code:
    rootactions-servicemenu.pl root_delete "/home/rog131/Downloads/delete me.txt"
    Also odd; "Open File Manager" launches Konq instead of Dolphin as in the past and it takes a real long time to open. I checked and dolphin is set as my default filemanager, so I suspect that the root default is set to konq...
    Looking the rootactions-servicemenu.pl - it is using:
    Code:
    xdg-mime query default inode/directory
    to detect the default file manager.

man xdg-mime
    xdg-mime - command line tool for querying information about file type handling

rootactions servicemenu no longer working? 10.04+kde4.5...
    ...I'm using version 2.6.90~lucid
    The KDE 4.5 (and later) could/should (?) install the latest/greatest root actions via the GHNS.

Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > Services > Download New Services > Get Hot New Stuff

[img width=400 height=233]http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4292/ghns.png[/img]

The PPA for Rog131 is unmaintained and waiting removal.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: &lt;Partially Figured Out&gt;rootactions servicemenu no longer working? 10.04+kde4.5

Sorry Rog - I didn't mean to pin it on you

But thanks for the help!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Also odd; "Open File Manager" launches Konq instead of Dolphin as in the past and it takes a real long time to open. I checked and dolphin is set as my default filemanager, so I suspect that the root default is set to konq. At least it works, eventually.
        It should use the user default file manager (not root's), and the fallback is dolphin, so it's rather odd it chooses konq for you, what do you get with:
        Code:
        xdg-mime query default inode/directory

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
          Hate to hear that Rog. It has been a great asset @ times! Thanks for all that you did for that!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
            Originally posted by Rog131
            Hate to hear that Rog. It has been a great asset @ times! Thanks for all that you did for that!
            I managed to miss that completely.

Thanks for your work on it Rog, the repo is/was my favorite ppa. Don't you have time for it anymore, or have you been abducted by aliens? :P

Comment

Kubicle, I get no response from that command.

In system settings it shows dolphin as my default and in folder>properties (via right-click, wrench) I get

Dolphin
              Konqueror
              Gwenview
              KDirStat

Please Read Me

Comment

Kubicle, I get no response from that command.
                Right...that would be a problem. It might be an issue with xdg-mime on lucid (package xdg-utils)...unfortunately I don't have lucid to check.

But I do see how not getting a result from xdg-mime can cause problems, I'll try to work around that in the next version. In the meantime, you can force dolphin as the file manager by editing the servicemenu .desktop files (10-rootactionsfolders.desktop and 11-rootactionsfiles.desktop) manually, and replacing "defaultfm" with "dolphin".

Comment

@oshunluvr:

Could you test whether 2.7 (just uploaded, might take a while for GHNS to update) fixes the issue?

Comment

Or you can download the .deb file from Rog131's PPA dirctly (I got all three) and install vie GDebi Installer.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So I uninstalled 2.6.9 from the rog131ppa and tried the dolphin>settings>new stuff route. It says it's installed but root actions doesn't appear anywhere.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        Or you can download the .deb file from Rog131's PPA dirctly (I got all three) and install vie GDebi Installer.
                        Rog's ppa doesn't have the latest version (2.7)

So I uninstalled 2.6.9 from the rog131ppa and tried the dolphin>settings>new stuff route. It says it's installed but root actions doesn't appear anywhere.
                        1. try running 'kbuildsycoca4' (as user, no sudo) to rebuild the system configuration cache

2. if the above doesn't help, check that files:
                        /usr/bin/rootactions-servicemenu.pl
                        ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/10-rootactionsfolders.desktop
                        ~/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/11-rootactionsfiles.desktop
                        are installed on your system.

3. if not, it's probably an issue with GHNS (rog reported some issues with GHNS earlier)...which might not work to perfection on lucid, seems to work ok on natty. Check that package 'ruby' is installed (GHNS uses ruby).

4. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend downloading the tar package from kde-look (or kde-apps), and install the three files mentioned above manually.

Comment

ruby did it!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X