X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplying desktop activities and extremely slow desktop loading

This is getting distressing...

I first noticed this a few weeks ago. I keep assuming it will go away with updates but it hasn't.

Every time I reboot (not often) and sometimes when I've been logged off to allow another user to log on (also not often) - when I go to re-log in my desktop will load extremely slow. Now when I say slow I mean I've waited as long as ten minutes with no desktop yet. I simply can't go any longer. I will sometimes wait long enough to hear the opening sound and sometimes even my wallpaper will start to show. Dropping to TTY1 and restarting KDM will give me a desktop at normal speed. Usually my desktop is completely trashed - wallpaper gone, widgets gone, relocated or partially missing. Once my primary desktop space (monitor 1 desktop 1) was white with not even a mouse cursor.

Also about the same time frame I've noticed that each time I log in and check (I don't check every time) that the number of desktop activities grows. The first time I noted this behavior, I had about 40 desktop activities. They're all "unnamed" of course (and I can find no way to rename them) and they use that ridiculous square block print pattern thingy thats totally useless. Sometimes some of them are paused, other times not.

I have on two occasions, deleted all the desktop activities but the last one (because it won't allow it) and re-create all my desktop activities (4 - two monitors two desktops each) and widgets (six total). However, this never lasts long.

The really frustrating thing is nothing seems amiss - no weird logs, no obvious memory/ram hogs. I have noticed a new very slow xorg memory leak - after a week of uptime xorg is holding onto 20-25% of my ram vs. <5% usually. Not really a problem as long as I can restart X - but then goto the top of this post and start over at slow desktop load

Typically, when this starts, I'll jump to tty1 and run top - suspecting something is hogging CPU/RAM or zombied. No real suspects. Last time the CPU's were max 76% idle while I watched for about 8 minutes - with no desktop yet nd this is not a slow machine (see sig). The only thing often running is amarokcollection and it hard uses enough resources to cause this slow of a response. I first suspected akonadi but killing that p.o.s. made no difference (aside: why have the devs decided I need PIM storage service).

I have no clue as to whether these two issues are related except to say I noticed both roughly the same time. My setup is somewhat non-standard as I'm running the nvidia-vdpau drivers and xorg-edgers along with KDE 4.5.3 backported on a standard 10.04 Lucid 2.6.32-30 kernel.

The only atypical things in dmesg after a reboot are:
    Code:
    [  10.955195] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:2): operation="profile_load" pid=659 name="/sbin/dhclient3"
    [  10.955272] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:3): operation="profile_replace" pid=826 name="/sbin/dhclient3"
    [  10.955300] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:4): operation="profile_replace" pid=823 name="/sbin/dhclient3"
    [  10.955807] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:5): operation="profile_load" pid=659 name="/usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action"
    [  10.955827] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:6): operation="profile_replace" pid=823 name="/usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action"
    [  10.955976] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:7): operation="profile_replace" pid=826 name="/usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action"
    [  10.956076] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:8): operation="profile_load" pid=659 name="/usr/lib/connman/scripts/dhclient-script"
    [  10.956106] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:9): operation="profile_replace" pid=823 name="/usr/lib/connman/scripts/dhclient-script"
    [  10.956312] type=1505 audit(1300925603.649:10): operation="profile_replace" pid=826 name="/usr/lib/connman/scripts/dhclient-script"
    which are really odd since I don't have networkmanager installed and I don't use dhcp on this computer but I believe these are apparmor messages.

So, given this mess I have created - I don't expect a lot of help. I would love to solve this, but I'm likely to be upgrading to 11.04 once it's released for this desktop just so I can more easily use the .38 kernel and kde 4.6.

In the meantime - any ideas?

Please Read Me

Re: Multiplying desktop activities and extremely slow desktop loading

For what it's worth, I have found that kde has become totally unstable, both on maverick and natty, ever since 4.6, or shortly before that.

I reboot several times a day. Sometimes kde just won't start at all, sometimes it starts with a ridiculously bright screen, and sometimes it starts without any window frames. When I kill it, I usually find kded4 or kdeinit4 running at 100% cpu, but only after the kill, not before.

Odd thing is, I am also running kde (now at 4.6 also, I believe) on aptosid, and it has none of these problems.

And no, I don't do fresh installs. Any system that can't be maintained and upgraded without reinstalling is... windows.

Regarding the apparmor problem, check /etc/apparmor.d and see if there are profiles for the offending programs in there. You might be able to remove them and stop the errors. (save them somewhere, don't trash them until you know everything is copacetic)
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have seen my number of activities grow here in Natty/4.6.1, but never by more than a couple, and only if i have manually killed kdm or x - so far only due to wine/steam locking things up on me playing half life ......

But as you are running 4.5.3:
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/616296
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=248386

appears fixed , at least for some distros, post 4.5.2....., rather for us post-Lucid.

Comment

Well, I figured out the slooooooowwww part. I had been playing around with kdm and left this set:

[Xdmcp]
        Enable=true
        Willing=/etc/kde4/kdm/Xwilling

Setting it back to false cured that little issue.

I still get the extra activities, but like I said I'm gonna upgrade in May anyway...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X