This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost the wicd system tray icon...

A few weeks ago (not sure when) I noticed that my wicd system tray icon was missing. I still got automatic wifi connection when I booted up, but if I had to reset my connection for any reason I had to run wicd from the system menu again.

Today I decided to look into it and see what was wrong. The first thing I noticed (or didn't notice for so long) was that I was also missing my "HP" printer manager icon and the printer status icon. It wasn't a matter of the System Tray settings. None of the three icons were in the System tray settings. Something interrupted the loading of the system tray icons.

Another symptom was that neither the "Shutdown" panel icon nor the menu "Shutdown" item worked.

I could open a Konsole and run wicd-client and the wicd icon would appear in the system tray again. However, when I closed the Konsole the icon disappeared as well.

One person reported that when they did the following in a Konsole
    Code:
    touch .wicd/USER_NOTIFICATIONS
    (the wicd hidden directory under your home account)
    and then log out and then log back in again (i.e., restart kdm) all the icons appeared in the system tray and remained there. Also, the "Shutdown" icons and menu item worked again.

Don't know what update broke it, or in which config file USER_NOTIFICATIONS is touched during the boot up, if that is the cause of the problem.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Lost the wicd system tray icon...

Interesting.

Since you had other stuff missing I'd have figured it was a plasma thing - but I'm glad you got it sorted. I lost myu wicd icon once and reinstalled wicd then rebooted - not sure which one of the two fixed it
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

I tried the plasma replacement a few weeks ago, but that didn't work for me. So, I decided I'd wait until an update fixed it, but so far none had. I got tired of waiting and started poking around. I really didn't find anything amiss (that I could recognize as such) and did some googleing, which is where I found that fix. If it wasn't for Google I'd have no brain at all
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GG, just wondeing if you have attempted to use knetworkmanager at all. (i can't be the only person it works for.) and if so when and what was your issue (just wondering)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Out of interest - which version of wicd are you running? I recently installed 1.7.0-7 and the gtk client was not compatible. So I installed wicd-client-kde 0.2.1-2 and find it very pretty
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

What's in my sources.list
            1.7.0+ds1-2

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              GG, just wondeing if you have attempted to use knetworkmanager at all. (i can't be the only person it works for.) and if so when and what was your issue (just wondering)
              you are not the only person that it works for

3 boxes hear use it just fine.......wireless WPA personal ......no prob.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not sure what all these items use for icons, but it might be that some of these , especially wicd, may be using standard Ubuntu (gnome or perhaps gtk) icons that are not found in Kubuntu. I have incorrect/missing icons in both the ui and the systray for gpodder unless I also install the package gnome-icon-theme. This was a fairly recent situation, probably in maverick, but not prior iirc.

I think wicd is a gtk app, not sure about the hp tools. gpodder definitely is. maybe installing the icon package may fix things.

Comment

The KNetworkManager for Natty works well, but in Lucid there were too many troubles. It could be fixed by now and I may give it a try.

HOWEVER, my relatively new HP duplex printer stopped printing some time within the last 3 or 4 days (I don't print much, but last Wednesday I printed a RMA label) and while I was messing around with trying to get it going again I noticed that I don't have to "touch .wicd/USER_NOTIFICATIONS" and then log out and back in. Just logging out and back in causes the wicd icon AND the HP icon and the Message Indicator icon to display! So the "touch" isn't necessary, just logging out and back in does it. Don't know why yet.

The printer problem is another topic.

Comment

Which wicd client/frontend are you using?

"wicd-gtk" and "wicd-kde" are both in Natty repos.

"wicd-gtk" uses it's own icons (included in the package)

"wicd-kde" package also includes the additional oxygen icons it uses, but it substitutes those for the plasma theme icons (also used by networkmanager) if available.

EDIT: Ah, this wasn't on the natty forums, which release version is this happening?

A few weeks ago (not sure when) I noticed that my wicd system tray icon was missing. I still got automatic wifi connection when I booted up, but if I had to reset my connection for any reason I had to run wicd from the system menu again.
                    That suggests that the client (either wicd-gtk/wicd-client or wicd-kde) isn't starting automatically with your desktop...wicd-daemon (the backend) handles the connecting, and it starts during boot (so your connection works normally).

Comment

It's Lucid (10.04) and /etc/default/wicd contains
                      START_DAEMON=yes
                      to use /etc/init.d/wicd to start the WICD daemon on bootup.

When the wicd system tray icon fails to appear it also turns out that the HPLIP icon and the Message Indicator icon also fails to appear. So, perhaps some script that loads the system tray, if there is such a script, fails on or just prior to the wicd icon activation, but I haven't been able to find any msgs that show which script and line #. Another fact apparently related to this is that when the system tray icons fail to appear the

Since I started investigating this I had another kernel update. Now the missing icons randomly display. When they don't display the red "Leave" icon, although it appears on my panel, will not work when clicked. And, neither will the "Restart", "Shutdown", "Logout" menu items work. Somehow the problems are all related.

What also might be related is that my HP LaserJet Pro 1606dn stopped printing, (ibus failure) which is the topic of another thread.

Comment

Search the process list (ctrl+esc) for wicd.

The python daemon (wicd-daemon) runs as root, and is started by upstart during boot and connects to your default network. This should be running on your machine, as your connection works.

However, if you don't have the icon on your tray, you probably won't find the wicd frontend in the process list (the process is wicd-kde if you use the kde frontend, and likely wicd-client or wicd-gtk if you use the gtk client...this process runs under your regular user)...that's the process that puts the icon in the tray and let's you access wicd config. If the process is not running, start the client manually (through kmenu or with krunner [alt+f2])...the icon should appear once the client is running.

Of course the root of the problem should be why the frontend client isn't starting automatically, and it could very well be related to your other problems.

Comment

Even when the icons do not display in the system tray, the wicd daemon does run and my default wifi connection never fails to connect. Looking at the process list was the first thing I did to see what was calling what.. Wicd-kde isn't in Lucid's repository. So, wicd-daemon.py starts the daemon and monitor, and wicd-client.py starts the UI.

It looks like it, along with my printer problem, is going to be a "three pipe" problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            It looks like it, along with my printer problem, is going to be a "three pipe" problem.
                            Wha? Did I hear someone calling out in the darkness?
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                              Even when the icons do not display in the system tray, the wicd daemon does run and my default wifi connection never fails to connect. Looking at the process list was the first thing I did to see what was calling what.. Wicd-kde isn't in Lucid's repository. So, wicd-daemon.py starts the daemon and monitor, and wicd-client.py starts the UI.
                              So wicd-client.py is running even when you don't see the icon?

Comment

Working...
                              X