This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Konsole cursor issue, KDE4, Lucid

I saw another user had posted this (topic=3107271.0) but got no response.

When I'm in Konsole, the cursor starts out in the right place but then begins to "lead" the text by a few characters. Also, when using the man command, in the man pages the bold text is sometimes improperly rendered - I'll get NAM or SYNOPSI.

This may be related, but in some web forums, I can't edit a post properly - only the line I'm typing, full cursor doesn't work.

Dell Inspiron 530 with onboard Nvidia, autodetected video driver, Lucid.

Tried to upgrade the video driver after I did the install but then the machine would only boot to command prompt. I couldn't figure out how to fix it so I re-installed.

Re: Konsole cursor issue, KDE4, Lucid

It's clearly a video driver issue, although it's an unusual one. Have you tried using the proprietary Nvidia driver in System > Hardware Drivers?

Comment

Also, try turning off desktop effects just to see if that is contributing to the problem.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        It's clearly a video driver issue, although it's an unusual one. Have you tried using the proprietary Nvidia driver in System > Hardware Drivers?
        Okay, I tried both the recommended Nvidia driver and the version 173 driver. Still have problems. Here are some screencaps:

This is the system running on Koala, displaying Firefox. The sans-serif font is nice and easy to read, and the labels look nice.
        [img width=400 height=250]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/mattandleigh/901desktop.jpg[/img]

This is the system in Lucid. Firefox displays Wikipedia with a serif font, which is harder to read. The labels are sans-serif, but look clunkier somehow. Note the Code text in the KF post - it's tiny, almost impossible to read without zooming the screen. Also note the Konsole window - how the bolded words don't render properly and encroach on non bold words. It's still doing the leading cursor thing too.
        [img width=400 height=250]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll106/mattandleigh/snapshot1.png[/img]

I'm using Deja Vu sans as my font. Under the GTK settings (firefox uses these, right?) my widget style is QTCurve, and the option to use the KDE fonts is checked.

And Snowhog, I had turned the desktop effects off, but for some reason installing one of the drivers switched them back on again.

Thanks for any help you can offer, especially dibl who helped me solve a partitioning issue months back.

Comment

Just found the Nvidia driver tool in my settings - reminded me that the video is actually a Geforce 8300GS PCI card, for whatever that's worth. I shoulda checked that before the original post.

Comment

I've also tried changing to "sans serif" as the system font, then back to "Deja Vu Sans", no improvement. DejaVuSans is the default font, correct?

I guess what I don't understand is how everything worked sweet under Karmic but went all spotty in Lucid. Is there any way I can output a list of all video settings in each and compare them to see what's different?

Comment

Originally posted by enginemusic
              I've also tried changing to "sans serif" as the system font, then back to "Deja Vu Sans", no improvement. DejaVuSans is the default font, correct?
              What is the font that konsole is using (Konsole>Settings>ConfigureProfiles>EditProfile>Ap pearance)?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                Originally posted by enginemusic
                What is the font that konsole is using (Konsole>Settings>ConfigureProfiles>EditProfile>Ap pearance)?
                Monospace size 10.

Comment

Working...
                X