X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE and iPod Touch

Hello all,

Let me start by saying I'm not using Kubuntu, but Arch Linux. I'm running KDE, and I would like to get my iPod Touch to work in KDE. I've already followed Arch's wiki page and can already mount my iPod using ifuse and I can use Amarok to sync my iPod.

However, there's two more things I'd like to achieve:
    1. Get my iPod to show up in Dolphin when it gets mounted;
    2. Get my iPod to show up in the Removable Devices section in the system tray.

I know Kubuntu has this feature implemented out of the box and that's why I'm asking here. I can't for the life of it figure out which packages I have to install for this (Arch forums can't help either; https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115090). So, I'd like to know what packages I have to install (or what packages Kubuntu has installed) to achieve the above.

The packages I have already installed, are:
    Code:
    libplist libimobiledevice ifuse usbmuxd libgpod
    Thanks in advance!

Re: KDE and iPod Touch

No one?

Comment

I have an iPod Touch 4.

A few weeks ago I plugged it into my USB port and selected Dolphin to open it. I navigated to the folder containing the pictures I took and dragged them into my Pictures folder.

Just now I tried it again. While the folder containing the pictures opened up in dolphin, it did not contain any of the 16 pictures I took.

Between the last time I used it and this time there has been an update. Apparently, one "feature" of the update is to break compatibility with the Linux libraries that previously accessed the iPod, including ifuse.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So what you're saying is that the new updated libgpod/libimobiledevice etc have a bug that stops the iPod from being mounted by Dolphin?

If so, then how come Amarok can still read it and I can mount it through ifuse?

EDIT: Could you please check what packages you have installed for iPod support?

Comment

No, what I am saying is that the upgrade was on the iPod side. My files have remained the same.
          I had everything installed related to iPod except ifuse, which I didn't install at the time because the other iPod apps worked. When I tested earlier to day and found I couldn't access my 16 pictures I installed ifuse to see if that would help. It did not.

I have no knowledge of why Amarok would work, since I don't have that app installed.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

hm, so it would then be that somehow iOS 4.2 (which I'm using) isn't supported?

Comment

Seems so, until a patch comes down from whom ever is supporting ipod, gtkpod or usbmuxd.

Comment

But then why can Amarok and ifuse still see it and sync it?

Comment

You can maybe wright a udev rule. To execute a command to mount it when you plug it in. My ipod touch is jailbroken with SSH installed; so I use SFTP to connect it to linux & iFuntasic to access it's disk on my mac.
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                  X