This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Open windows only show in 2nd panel, not shown if just 1

Probably the subject doesnt explain very well, and probably a 30sec fix for someone who knows!

I have two panels on my desktop (bear with me if im using the wrong terminology! Ive come from windows) one at the bottom, akin to the normal windows taskbar, and one at the top.

Only the one at the top shows which applications i have open. It also has duplicate widgets to the bottom one. There is also a little tab at the side of the desktop that says 'unnamed' and if clicked gives panel options.

I dont like this setup and want the bottom panel only, but if i close down the top one, i no longer have any indications of open applications (in fact i think they just shut when minimised)

how do i get the applications to show on the bottom panel when i get rif of the top one?

Re: Open windows only show in 2nd panel, not shown if just 1

Originally posted by Barf

how do i get the applications to show on the bottom panel when i get rif of the top one?
    Delete the panel at the bottom, and move the panel from the top to the bottom -- you have to "unlock widgets" before you move it, then "lock widgets" after you have placed it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Originally posted by Barf

Delete the panel at the bottom, and move the panel from the top to the bottom -- you have to "unlock widgets" before you move it, then "lock widgets" after you have placed it.
      Thats kinda worked - its kept the top panel with the applications indicated, but i cant move it! Im trying to drag and drop, is there another way?

Comment

Right-click anywhere in the middle part of the panel and choose "unlock widgets". Now right-click again -- you can right-click on the "cashew" that you see on the end of the panel if you wish -- and choose "panel settings". Now, on the large black settings bar, click on the "+" sign where it says "Screen Edges", and pull it to the bottom of your screen. It won't really drag across your screen, it will simply pop into position. Drop it there, then "lock widgets" again.

Comment

Thanks

All sorted now. Although i was a bit overzealous resizing and managed to crash my system!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Open windows only show in 2nd panel, not shown if just 1

Yup, you have to be light on the controls.

The Lear Jet's cruise speed at altitude is just 10 knots under the Vne (never exceed speed) and 10 knots above stall speed, but it is a fine aircraft! Kubuntu is a fine distro. It is also front (I don't like the term bleeding, that is for people who don't know how or won't learn how to use it) edge and you have access to ALL the controls. Over control it and you'll auger it in.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X