This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opacity menubar or panel or kicker [SOLVED]

On my desktop the menubar was transparent. First it was opaque to. After some changes it got transparent, I don't know how i did it, since there are so many vague settings in KDE. On my Laptop it's the same thing. It's opaque to. I have been busy for about 6 hours to find the #$#% button where you can change it. I have used a different install for both of my computers. So it isn't a bug on my install CD. The strange thing is that the rest of the widgets are transparent. Only the menubar is dam ugly grey and black. I used a lot of different desktop themes and all the themes are transparant in the examples.

Does anybody know where to find the button "make menu bar transparent"?

Thank you for your help

I use KDE 4.6 Ubuntu 10.10

Re: Opacity menubar

Button to make it happen?

-edit I misunderstood initially.

you should look at System Settings / Workspace Appearance / Window Decorations
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I can't find it there eather. You can change the menubar of the window but not the desktop or I couldn't find it. What I mean is the menubar on the Desktop or also called the task manager or the Kicker.
      If it's ther please can you make a screenshot or something like that so I can figure it out where it is or what youre doing differently dan I do.

Thanks for youre help so far.

Comment

Panel ?

> KDE Glossary
        Panel
        See Kicker. In KDE SC 4 the name "kicker" is dropped, and the name "panel" is the norm. "Applets"; are largely replaced by Widgets
        menubar
        There is a plasma-widget-menubar
        Description: A Plasma applet to display application menubars
        A Plasma applet to displays application menubars.
        [img width=400 height=149]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4256/menubarq.png[/img]

Panel transparency

The panel is transparent if the Desktop effects are enabled and the Desktop Theme is supporting transparency.

System Settings > Desktop Effects

[img width=400 height=221]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/1448/panelk.jpg[/img]

The panel trancparency/opacity level is set by the Desktop Theme.

System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Desktop Theme -> Panel Background
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thank you for your help and your time to make things clear. Still I'm losing hope on Kubuntu.

Oke it's called a panel. I'm using air theme and for panel background air background same as yours. The desktop effects are enabled and still nothing happens. I also used more translucent themes. Still nothing.

Can it be that it has something to do with the videocard. It's the only thing that is realy different between my Laptop and my Desktop, besides that the Desktop is 64 bit and the Laptop is 32 bit. I know that in Windows 7 it makes a different. On the other hand the rest of the aplets are transparent.

Comment

On the other hand the rest of the aplets are transparent.
            The other plasmoids are different than the panel applet (plasma container). The ordinary plasmoids are transparent without the compositing.

Something to check:

System Settings > Desktop Effects

Is telling: " Desktop effects are active" not "Desktop effects are (temporarily) disabled"

What is your "Compositing type" ?
            OpenGL or XRender ?

Can it be that it has something to do with the videocard.
            Sometimes it is. What do you have AMD/NVidia/Intel/something else ?

Looking KDE Userbase:

> http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance:
            nvidia - black window problem

It seems that older NVidia cards run into the problem that newly opened windows just are drawn as black windows or do not refresh properly anymore. This happens if composite is activated and openGL is used with many windows opened...
            ATI

Plasma performance is bad
            Explanation : Unfortunately the reasons for plasma being choppy seem to be numerous so it's hard to tell where your choppiness comes from...
            > http://techbase.kde.org/User:Lemma/KDE4-NVIDIA:
            The problem

KDE4's performance on newer NVIDIA cards of the 8xxx and 9xxx series is currently pretty choppy. For as long as I've been trying running KDE4 I had to fight an unresponsive plasma and some windows that just wouldn't resize with more than 0.5 fps.
            Note ! I don't have the NVidia, so i can't say nothing about how good or poor the NVidia is with the KDE. Note !
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Opacity menubar *panel of kicker

Thank you again

I have tried all these settings

The differents between my laptop and my desktop is that the desktop has an ATi radeon and my HP 6710b has an Intel GMA X3100. I'm using the Opengl.

Wait a minute I'm changing the Opengl to Xrender and it works!!!

Thank you again great work I don't know what the difference is between does two I know that opengl does the job for my videocard but that's it.

Comment

Working...
              X