This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kpowersave broken after installing kde 4.6

PARTIALLY SOLVED - troubles happened because of a kernel module (acpi-cpufreq) not loaded at boot time. this also explains the erratic behaviour of kpowersave . from the system menu kpowersave is invoked w/ the argument --force-acpi-check wich also gave me a hint. doing a sudo modprobe-i acpi-cpufreq . i STILL have to discover why the module won't autoload anymore after installing kde 4.6 . now i have another problem, which is i am not able to set --min and --max frequencies by editing /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq and scaling_min_freq even doing a sudo call . what is weird to me is that i can fire up kate with kdesudo and edit it -works, but if i try an echo > it fails with permission denied (and root has sufficient permissions set there). but now this thread is going OT.

Comment

Originally posted by hipsterical
      now i have another problem, which is i am not able to set --min and --max frequencies by editing /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq and scaling_min_freq even doing a sudo call . what is weird to me is that i can fire up kate with kdesudo and edit it -works, but if i try an echo > it fails with permission denied (and root has sufficient permissions set there). but now this thread is going OT.
      Redirection (>) is a shell function, and even if you run a command with sudo the shell is (normally) still running as a regular user (and so will the redirection).

You can either start a root shell (with 'sudo -i'),
      or do something like:
      echo foo | sudo tee /path/to/bar

Comment

wow thanks. one never stops learning...

Comment

I just use cpufreq to load the appropriate CPU scaling modes for each custom profile I create with powerdevil (just make sure to change cpufreq's permissions first). I don't really buy the whole argument they use for taking away CPU scaling policies; all I know is that with the default "ondemand" mode I get a measly 30 min. from my aging battery, while with "powersave" I get a full hour (both doing the same tasks). Pissed me off when I found out about it, but you can always load your own profiles/scripts. What's wrong with leaving the option? Are we using GNOME here?
          Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
          Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
          Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

+1 for Melcar's rant. Yes, I know I can use cpufreq-set, but that's not the point. Linux has passed that point. I want easy access to hardware settings, instead of having them taken away from me. I am a software tester myself, and the new Powerdevil would never have made it past my desk.

Comment

kpowersave offered an easy, one click way to open and close the CPU mHz throttle , without having to make a sudo and/or manually edit text files . a working (_WORKING_) replacement is needed badly. i regret the migration to kde4: cool but not even remotely as business-like, pragmatic and mature as KDE3. also i strive to understand why plasmoids are useful. a friend of mine almost fell on the floor in laughter when i showed him that those things can tilt and rotate. both of us failed to understand the big point with that.
              whatever. i am still stuck manually editing min_cpu_freq and buddies according to needs, and man it does suck.

Comment

Working...
              X