X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - kio_thumbnail - icons don't scale anymore in dolphin/folder view

Okay, here's what happened...

I was setting-up my wife's computer with kubuntu lucid and having no end of problems with the windows dual boot set-up (probably related to a dell diagnostic partition being first on the disk). Anyway, I ended up formatting her /home, where I had already placed the important stuff from her original windows installation, and installed a whole bunch of stuff over it. So, I was left with trying to recover what I could from the windows partition.

If you've ever tried a recovery, you know you end up with a whole mess of files of various kinds, the sheer volume of which creates a feeling of complete despair every time you venture to browse the directory where they're stored. Well, anyway, they were all deposited with root permissions, and rather than just changing the permissions, I opened a root dolphin with sudo (I was tired). I set dolphin to preview, and I slid the slider all the way to the right, so I could actually read what was there by just scrolling down through the folder.

You probably already know that kio_thumbnail has a habit of taking over EVERYTHING when it has a lot to do, and that's what happened. Somewhere in the melee, kde crashed and the previews would no longer scale properly. They grow to, I don't know, 64x64, as you move the slider to the right, then, when you hit a certain spot, they actually suddenly change to an even smaller size and stay that way until you move the slider back to the left, past the point where they changed.

I think that somehow the user's thumbnail configuration for that directory (works normally elsewhere) got changed in the struggle, and with root permissions. I have no idea where to look, or what to change (unless it's obvious).

Can anyone help?

Edit:

Okay, I've been playing around on this computer a little more and I've discovered it's NOT the previews - it's the icons! The previews are working normally. Anything with a preview grows to the selected size, but the icons all stay small. Hmm...it's not that simple either...I don't have text selected for preview, so it shows as a "T" icon. This icon shows at the correct size. Also a python script backup shows an icon (the green page with recycle symbol) at the correct size. All the rest seem to be affected - and it's not just the /home directory as I first thought.
    MB:ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 780G HDMI, Proc: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache, Graph: Int. ATI Radeon HD 3200, Aud: Int. Realtek ALC1200 8 channels, Ram: 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 SDRAM, Monitor: Dell SE198WFP 19" Wide FPM

Re: kio_thumbnail - icons in /home don't scale anymore in dolphin or folder view

Well, I found the solution (and I feel like an idiot for all the time I spent looking for complicated solutions). I just changed the theme.

All good now...
    MB:ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 780G HDMI, Proc: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache, Graph: Int. ATI Radeon HD 3200, Aud: Int. Realtek ALC1200 8 channels, Ram: 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 SDRAM, Monitor: Dell SE198WFP 19" Wide FPM

Comment

Working...
    X