This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10.10 Trinity, desktop device icons disappeared

I installed Kubuntu 10.10 Trinity, ran the updates, installed a number of programs, and somewhere along the line all the device icons disappeared from the desktop. I didn't notice exactly when it happened because I couldn't see the desktop most of the time. They're all still checked in Configure Desktop / Behavior / Device Icons; I can check or uncheck whatever I want there, but it has no effect. Any idea what happened and how I can get them back? Thanks.

Re: 10.10 Trinity, desktop device icons disappeared

[img width=400 height=317]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8588/showicons.jpg[/img]

Do you have Configure Desktop > Behavior > General > Show icons on desktop on ?

If it is not that - Something to try:

System Settings > User Management > Administrator Mode > New
    Make a new user - log out and log in as new user (#2)- are the device icons working ?.

If they are, then the KDE user (#1) setting files are corrupted (maybe ?). As user #2, rename the user #1 kde (hidden) directory (/home/UserNameHere/.kde3).

When you log in as the user #1 the KDE should build new KDE desktop with the default settings.

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'd intended to post an update yesterday, but ran out of time. I've found a couple more things that might give a hint to the problem.

I've found that as soon as I plug in a USB drive, all the device icons come back.

I've also found that it happens exactly the same on 2 different machines. Different as in, the only similarity is that they both have Intel GMA video. One is GMA 900 and the other GMA 950. Maybe it's something to do with the video driver?

Comment

...as I plug in a USB drive, all the device icons come back.
        Yes, i did notice this, there need to be a wake up device. Also a CD/DVD device is doing the trick at here.

This could be (pure guess) a > HAL problem. As the Ubuntu is moving away from the HAL there could be problems with the older code (KDE 3.5).

> Ubuntu Halsectomy
        > Udisks/Upower replacing HAL

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X