Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Why can't we change our user image?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why can't we change our user image?

That worked. Thank you. I was able to select a user image in Account Details with this.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      This is where I would expect to be able to change my users image. But, I can't. If I check User, then User Images greys out - I can't click on the large button to select an image. Only checking 'System', 'System, user', and 'User, System' allows for selection of an image.
      As you probably already figured out, that section in login manager settings is for setting the "system" images for users (and so the selection is only enabled if system icons are allowed in the setting above). if you select "useronly", the system icon selection is grayed out. The "user" icons are set in the "account details" module.

Exactly. But if you make the change to the kdmrc file as kubicle as pointed out, then *we* are supposed to then have access to changing this. What I'd like to know, is why, by default, we can't. What's the rational behind that?
      I think the reason why the icons are "systemonly" by default is that as the icons are shown in kdm greeter, which is not a user process (and is shown to all users), and usually all changes to such processes should require admin approval by default (of course admins can change the default if desired).

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Why can't we change our user image?

Im on a lucid machine that I upgraded and the avatar for the menu etc. can be changed with a click in "about me". However, since I, for some reason, didn't set a login I can't check if it automatically changed that. I guess I could set a user but it's too late.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          Ok its very simple fix, really.
          [code= krunner]kdesudo kcmshell4 kdm[/code]
          under the "Users" Tab, you will see an section called "user Image source" change it to "User,system", you can also below that set the system's user images.
          now when you go to System Settings -> About Me, and try to change your icon you can

basicly what happens if the user has not set an icon the "systems" icon for them is set , but if the user does set an icon theirs is displayed, by default its "system" meaning users can't change the users icon
          That worked for me as well without modifying KDMRC file. As a matter of fact after I did the above the file I set through (System Settings --> System Administration --> Login Screen under the Users TAB) appeared. Thanks!

Comment

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Bottom right in a little box by itself....."user Images" click it to go to a .png image...

finally!!!

note; I do not remember that option being there before I upgraded the kernel and to LTS.

but it does work.

EDIT: EDIT: to use one of the supplied images the menu editor worked immediately. However, to use a custom image it took a restart.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
              I think the reason why the icons are "systemonly" by default is that as the icons are shown in kdm greeter, which is not a user process (and is shown to all users), and usually all changes to such processes should require admin approval by default (of course admins can change the default if desired).
              While that might make sense, the default behavior of Kubuntu (10.10 at least) allows access to System Settings without being prompted for the users password (elevating the user to 'root') and allowing the change to the users icon. And, if you launch kcmshell4 as root and access Account Details, you see root's account, not your user.

Comment

While that might make sense, the default behavior of Kubuntu (10.10 at least) allows access to System Settings without being prompted for the users password (elevating the user to 'root') and allowing the change to the users icon.
                Err..don't you need admin access (password) to change "Login manager" settings in SystemSettings? You should.

if you launch kcmshell4 as root and access Account Details, you see root's account, not your user
                I meant that admins can change the default to allow user set icons, after which all users can change their icons from their account details.

Originally posted by MoonRise
                That worked for me as well without modifying KDMRC file.
                I gave the manual method because modifying kdmrc settings with the GUI has drawbacks...if it's not an issue one can use the GUI way for the same results.

Comment

Err..don't you need admin access (password) to change "Login manager" settings in SystemSettings? You should.
                  Nope. I launch System Settings from K Menu, click on Login Screen (Configure the login manager (KDM)) and it runs straight away. I'm not prompted for a password. Maverick 10.10, KDE 4.5.4.

Comment

Nope. I launch System Settings from K Menu, click on Login Screen (Configure the login manager (KDM)) and it runs straight away. I'm not prompted for a password. Maverick 10.10, KDE 4.5.4.
                    I don't have a maverick machine to test, but on Natty the authentication seems to be handled by policykit (you need to authenticate when you save changes, not when you start the module).

I guess it depends on policykit settings, but I'd find it very odd if Maverick allows editing kdm settings by a regular user by default. Could you test that by creating a new (test) user and see whether that user can change the settings?

Here's a screenshot from Natty

Attached Files

Comment

Ah! Okay. Yes, I see that statement on each of the Tabs. That actually makes sense, and a nicer approach as well. Allow the user to access the module; see what's there, but require authentication if any changes are made and desired to be saved.

Thank you kubucle.

Comment

Working...
                      X