This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borderless windows, how?

So I use a panel-less desktop, having almost all desktops with fullscreen applications. So I don't need no borders. As of now, I 'advanced'->'no border' them several times daily.
    Which is just crap. How can I define, with preference on the application level, that I don't want/need borders?

Re: Borderless windows, how?

Originally posted by udippel
    So I use a panel-less desktop, having almost all desktops with fullscreen applications. So I don't need no borders. As of now, I 'advanced'->'no border' them several times daily.
    Which is just crap. How can I define, with preference on the application level, that I don't want/need borders?
    Hi,

There is a way to hide borders (in general) when windows are maximized (at least, afaik, from KDE 4.5+ on):

1. Open Konsole
    2. Open KWin configuration file (just copy-paste the below command to konsole):
    Code:
    kate .kde/share/config/kwinrc
    3. If kwinrc successfully opened, then copy paste the below command to the end of file:
    Code:
    BorderlessMaximizedWindows=true
    4. Reboot or relogin.

If you need window menu, you can use ALT+F3

Regards.

Comment

[Solved] Re: Borderless windows, how?

Originally posted by oblivion

Code:
      kate .kde/share/config/kwinrc
      3. If kwinrc successfully opened, then copy paste the below command to the end of file:
      Code:
      BorderlessMaximizedWindows=true
      4. Reboot or relogin.
      Thanks a bunch, I ought have asked earlier.!

I wonder why this option is not more easily accessible?
      During a discussion on slashdot about Gnome3 I found out that, though in a small minority, I am by far not the only person who uses full-screen panel-less desktops.
      It doesn't come as option, though. Maybe it should?

Uwe

Comment

Re: [Solved] Re: Borderless windows, how?

I wonder why this option is not more easily accessible?
        The setting is available in SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>WindowBehavior>Movem ent-tab

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion

If you need window menu, you can use ALT+F3
          No, to my surprise, this one does not work any longer with this setting. I get Alt-F3 as before, the advanced menu, the 'No border'. but whatever I do there, click or 'N', the border doesn't show up. It seems that this setting does not allow manual override.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

The setting is available in SystemSettings>WindowBehavior>WindowBehavior>Movem ent-tab
            Yes and no. I checked another of my KDE (10.10) desktops, and the box was unticked, but still, all maximized windows had borders.
            So obviously, without the entry in the kwinrc, the box shows unticked, and yet the borders are there. It looks pretty much as if the manual edit was necessary to remove the borders from maximized windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

Yes and no. I checked another of my KDE (10.10) desktops, and the box was unticked, but still, all maximized windows had borders.
              So obviously, without the entry in the kwinrc, the box shows unticked, and yet the borders are there. It looks pretty much as if the manual edit was necessary to remove the borders from maximized windows.
              The setting works as expected here. I'm on Natty with KDE SC 4.6 beta2, though.

Comment

I reread your original message, and realized we're probably not talking about the exact same thing.

The setting I mentioned removes borders, but leaves the title bar visible...and you're talking about hiding the whole frame (including the title bar), am I right?

How can I define, with preference on the application level, that I don't want/need borders?
                You can set no borders option per application by the special application/window settings in WindowMenu>Advanced>Window/Application Settings (the setting for No border is on the preferences-tab)

Comment

Working...
                X