This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View .jpgs without Gwenview

I often use .jpg for pictures and sometimes I put them temporarily on my desktop for further processing. I find Konqueror to be the best picture viewer that I have encountered so I use that. However, when I click a file on the desktop, Gwenview opens. I find that really irritating, so I uninstalled it. Now when I click on a file on the desktop nothing happens. Konqueror works normally otherwise, and if I click on a directory it will show the pictures - just not on the desktop. How do I get Konq to show .jpgs without the extra step?

Re: View .jpgs without Gwenview

K > System Settings > File Associations

Click the > next to Image and click on jpeg

In the General tab click on Konqueror and move it to the top of the list. Click Apply.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You should try Kuickshow (a KDE4 picture viewer with minor edits). It is lightening fast. Open a single graphic in a directory and then use your mouse thumbwheel to move up or down to next or previous images in an instant. It also loads and zooms in on VERY large images.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks Showhog. That was easy. For some reason I couldn't find the process.

I really think Konq is by far the best picture viewer around. I'm sure that others have their advantages, but if they don't display all other file types and go on the net, then I can't see the point - although GG's suggestion featuring the scroll wheel zoom does sound enticing.

Comment

Actually .... I think I really screwed up here. Originally, all I wanted to have happen is have jpg images open in Konqueror when I clicked on them. That's all. What I didn't realize is that Gwenview was the imbedded viewer in Konqueror. Now I don't have the functionality in Konk that I wanted.

I have no idea where to begin to get it back to the way it was. Konqueror has a configuration section, but I don't know how it works. System settings has a file associations menu which looks identical and if both Konq and System Setting configuration menues are open, then it tells me so. It is as if they are linked, or possibly the same. But that can't be! How can I configure it so that Konq opens a jpg with Gwenview and also when I click on a file on the desktop it opens in Konq - which will then display using Gwenview.

At the very least I would like to get Konq to use Gwenview again.

I've tried all settings, but obviously haven't found the right order yet. I should never have uninstalled Gwenview. For all I know, when I reinstalled it, it gave me a different version and it will never work again.

Comment

I think I've solved my problem.

Now, when I click on a .jpg on my desktop, it opens in Konqueror with Gwenview.
            When I ckick on a .jpg in Konqueror, it opens with Gwenview.
            Konqueror works normally as a file browser as well.
            I am happy!

I tried all possible combinations of file associations and I'm sorry to report that I cannot repeat what I did so that someone else can learn from it. However, I did find out that in the file associations there is a mysterious jpeg category which seems to represent other types of image files. I think one also needs to (under settings) save the "view profile", but I'm not sure yet.

Oh, and I discovered that I can use the scroll wheel to change image size. Apparently Gwenview does that, but since I'm using it within Konqueror, I never noticed that before. Thanks GG, and thanks again Snowhog, for setting me on the right track.

Comment

Working...
            X