This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display time and date side-by-side

Is there a way to display both the time and date side-by-side on the panel, like in GNOME? I think it really looks cramped when the are both on top of one another.
    Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.2<br />Gateway MT6840<br />Intel Core Duo T2450 2.0GHz<br />1GB RAM

Re: Display time and date side-by-side

Open the Panel for editing (click the Panel's Cashew) and resize the Clock widget.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by kageman
      Is there a way to display both the time and date side-by-side on the panel, like in GNOME? I think it really looks cramped when the are both on top of one another.
      I'd like do the same thing, but to clarify: This is the digital clock panel on the Task Manager bar. When both the time and date are displayed, it automatically wraps to a 2-line display, and there is no obvious way to force this back to a one-line display. There is nothing in the Digital Clock settings to do this.

Kubuntu 10.04 could be forced to a one-line display, but it was broken, so that the time and date overlapped.
      I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Sources of Information

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
        > Plasma FAQ
        > Plasma FAQ Configuration

Plasma is the default workspace (desktop interface) for KDE. It includes an application launcher (start menu), the desktop and the desktop panel (often referred to simply as the task bar)...

There are many plasma widgets / plasmoids (clocks).

[img width=400 height=107]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9416/clocksa.jpg[/img]

Some of the plasmoids do have more options that the other.

[img width=400 height=250]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5486/settings.jpg[/img]

Code:
        apt-cache show plasma-widget-adjustableclock
        Description: plasma widget clock to show date and time
        This plasma widget shows date and time in adjustable format using
        rich text.
        Homepage: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=92825
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Open the Panel for editing (click the Panel's Cashew) and resize the Clock widget.
          There doesn't appear to be a size adjustment on the clock widget.
          I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by kageman
            I figured out what I did in 10.04 to get the time and date side by side: I shrank the vertical size of the taskbar until the date and time were forced to the same line. Trouble is, you get the same problem I got in 10.04, where the date and time end up overlapping each other.

If you still want to do this, do the following (Forgive me if my instructions are talking down to you. I don't know your expertise):
            • Click the Panel Toolbox (what somebody called the 'cashew').
            • Click and hold the "height" button near the center of the Task Bar.
            • Drag the mouse up and down to adjust the height of the Task Bar until the clock looks the way you want.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
              Sources of Information

> HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
              > Plasma FAQ
              > Plasma FAQ Configuration

Plasma is the default workspace (desktop interface) for KDE. It includes an application launcher (start menu), the desktop and the desktop panel (often referred to simply as the task bar)...

There are many plasma widgets / plasmoids (clocks).

[img width=400 height=107]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9416/clocksa.jpg[/img]

Some of the plasmoids do have more options that the other.

[img width=400 height=250]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/5486/settings.jpg[/img]

Code:
              apt-cache show plasma-widget-adjustableclock
              Description: plasma widget clock to show date and time
              This plasma widget shows date and time in adjustable format using
              rich text.
              Homepage: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=92825
              This is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks a lot! Thank you also to everyone else for your help, but I think getting this Plasmoid was the easiest solution.
              Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.2<br />Gateway MT6840<br />Intel Core Duo T2450 2.0GHz<br />1GB RAM

Comment

Working...
              X