X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No KDM after logout

When I logout of my desktop I am left with a black screen with the message:
    Code:
    GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
    I am aware nobody seems to know what this error means, as seen here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1443231
    or how it is related to logout.

<Alt><Ctrl>Backspace doesn't get me anywhere and I have to resort to <Alt><Ctrl>F3 then restart KDM from the login prompt.

If I do <Alt><Ctrl>Backspace from the desktop to kill the Xserver then it does bring me back to the KDM login.

Re: No KDM after logout

It appears to be a Known Gnometm bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/531027

Which means your display manager must be GDM.

Comment

No, it is definitely KDM.
      A fresh kubuntu maverick install (also happened on an updated from lucid install) with no Gnome apps or software of any description installed.

Comment

I have had this problem as well. Not so much when I log out, but I don't usually log out often. I generally run her up, or shut her down. Now, I have not seen this issue since I have made a change to the "removable devices" option in the system settings. I have had some auto mounting issues on my netbook, and I thought maybe if I set all my known devices (removable) to "auto mount on attach", then I would not have those problems so much. Well, I haven't tested that theory too much, but I also wondered if that I select "auto mount on login/attach", for my already attached hard drive, that the issue you are talking about might go away... kinda a forced "you will let me in" tactic. I also set the boot manager to grub, even though kubuntu is the only os on this computer, to see if I could force it that way. Since then, I have not seen that screen again. However, an easier way to overcome that issue if the options I have suggested do not help, is to press crtl+alt+del if you do not get to the login screen. What that will do is reboot your computer. Or at least that is what it does for me.

And yes, you most certainly use KDM if you are using (K)ubuntu. Since you are NOT using gnome GUI.
        Acer Aspire One AOA150 Model, Sapphire Blue<br />System BIOS 3310<br />Intel Atom CPU 1.6 GHz<br />DDR2 RAM 1.5 GHz<br />Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS

Comment

Working...
        X