This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

window effects

i saw some cool effects done on youtube vids of the past with compiz fusion, even though i enabled all the effects under the settings, some i have no clue about...do i need to download more somehow?

How do i write in fire on the desktop background?
    How do i zoom out to the cube desktop view and rotate stuff around?
    How do i get that cool fire effect when closing a window?

any other effects i can download?

Re: window effects

KDE uses Kwin for effects, and it doean't have as many of them as the Compiz effects you are seeing in the videos. There is no Fire for example, but there is desktop cube. Look at System Settings for Desktop effects to see whats there and for the keyboard shortcuts to activate them are. There is not any way to download new effects in Kwin afaik.

Also, depending on your hardware capabilities, not all effects will work.

Comment

can i install compiz and use it instead.
      *edit: accoriding to kpackage manager, compiz is already installed.

Comment

I think you can use compiz in KDE instead of Kwin, but i can't remember how. Just having it installed isn't enough iirc

Comment

Install emerald as well, then install fusion-icon and run "Compiz Fusion Icon" from the K menu. Right-click the fusion icon in the system tray > Select windows manager > Compiz, then Select window decorator > Emerald. If it doesn't work right away, choose Reload window manager from the menu.
          Next, open Systemsettings > Default Applications > Window Manager, choose "Compiz" from the dropdown and click on "Apply" so Compiz is loaded on Kde startup instead of Kwin.

edit: It's fusion-icon (with a hyphen).
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

slight issues...kde decorator has closed error appears on every reboot. I selected to use emerald under the fusion icon but i have to load fusion icon and select emerald as the decorator to do it manually each reboot?
            How do i make emerald the default?

When i select Compiz as the default application and i press "configuration" button, i get an error saying compiz configuration tool failed....i have to go under "settings manager" to change effects BUT
            I can't get any of the Compiz effects to work. i rebooted and everything.
            I have the video drivers installed and Kwin effects worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by f1refly
              slight issues...kde decorator has closed error appears on every reboot. I selected to use emerald under the fusion icon but i have to load fusion icon and select emerald as the decorator to do it manually each reboot?
              How do i make emerald the default?
              To load Fusion Icon automatically, go to "Systemsettings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart" and add /usr/bin/fusion-icon as a new startup program.
              If setting Emerald in Fusion icon isn't enough, right-click the Fusion Icon in the system tray and select "Settings Manager". Scroll down to "Window decoration", that one must be checked. Click on it to open it. The entry under "Command" must be emerald --replace to set Emerald as the default window manager (normally Fusion Icon will do that).

When i select Compiz as the default application and i press "configuration" button,
              There's no need to click the "Configure" button. Simply select "Compiz (not "Custom Compiz") and click on Apply.

i get an error saying compiz configuration tool failed....i have to go under "settings manager" to change effects BUT
              I can't get any of the Compiz effects to work. i rebooted and everything.
              I have the video drivers installed and Kwin effects worked just fine.
              What vga card do you have, and what video driver do you use?
              Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

i have Nvidia 280gtx and whatever driver that driver updates downloaded...seems to be the latest version as i referenced it to nvidias website.

So far, at this point, only a few animations seem to work. Most don't for some reason.

Comment

Working...
                X