X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuickLauncher on vertical panel

Hi,

placed QuickLauncher plasmoid on vertical panel and expected to place icons on it in left-to-right manner, possibly in two rows, say 6x2 icons. (The panel is wide enough, about 200 pixels, as it contains taskbar, etc.)

Problem: The icons organize themselves in vertical (up-to-down) direction only. So, there is just one column of icon. 12 rows instead of 2. It wastes almost all the space of my panel.

Is there a fix, workaround or setting for it? I was using QuickLauncher on vertical panels in KDE 3.x and I was very happy with it. Hope for solution in KDE 4.x as well.

Thanks,
    John

Re: QuickLauncher on vertical panel

Here, if i change the icon size the quicklaunch plasmoid will put the icons to the two columns.

[img width=392 height=400]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/5066/settingsh.png[/img]
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks,

at the end, I was able to reproduce what you showed at the picture. So, that is the good news. Now, I am attaching list of problems:

- to get icons in horizontal direction (left-to-right), I had to place at least 5 icons of the size 40 to my panel that is something above 200 pixels wide. If there are less icons, they are automatically going in vertical direction (up-down).

- The placement of icons and all the plasmoids is definitely using a kind of "advanced" logic that is very nice. However, with the QuickLaunch, I got several times 100% occupied CPU and very poor KDE responsivity until I resized my panel a little bit differently and plasmoids finally settled, freeing CPU. I am expecting it is KDE issue.

- I am a little bit missing the possibility to control the size of plasmoids on the panel, although this is not so important as problems above.

For sure, my system: Kubuntu 10.4, Radeon 5xxx using AMD binary driver

John

Comment

Here, KK 10.04, KDE 4.5.1, Quicklauncher Settings contains what you are looking for. Tested, and it works 'as advertized.'
        Attached Files
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That image is from the Kubuntu 10.04 with the KDE 4.4.2.

The KDE 4.4 is having a panel icon regression (> Topic: Icons in taskbar half the size they used to be). It should be fixed with the KDE 4.5.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
            That image is from the Kubuntu 10.04 with the KDE 4.4.2.
            Exactly. That is the version I have. That explains the difference with Snowhog. Thanks to him for the screenshot that is probably from upcoming 10.10 release. I will test it once it is available. Thanks.

BTW: For forum readers - I see Snowhog screenshot only when I am logged as myself.

Comment

Working...
            X