This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trouble with KDE-4.5.0

well sence I saw it hear http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-45 I wint and upgraded from 4.4.5 witch was perfect.......and now I think I have a mess......

so far I'v found Kmix onley showes 1 chanell whare I used to have sevrall 6+ ......but alsamixer in konsole still works them all.

my folder view widget's used to display the contents of the DIR when ponting at them but now do not and I dont see an option in the widget's settings.

Ktorrent was removed as in this thread http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112815.0 with the error @aqeeliz posted when tring to install it agin.

and the icons in the system tray changed .......to bad ones IMOP .......ya triveall BUT hay.

I'll post back as I trip across more things to gripe about ..........

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: trouble with KDE-4.5.0

Just tried KMix, and it seems to work normally.

When upgrading to Kde 4.5 final, I also had an error with Ktorrent:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libktorrent1_1.0.2-2~ppa1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/libktorrent.mo', which is also in package libktorrent-l10n 0
    It complains about not being able to overwrite some French (fr) status message - which is very odd, since I don't have support for French installed

I'm not too fond of the white status bar icons in 4.5 either, but I could get used to them already while trying out the RC versions.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

hears Kmix befor

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/goodkmix.png[/img]

and now.......

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/new-kmix.png[/img]

VINNY
      16GB RAM

Comment

well it seams as though the folder view display contents on hover is gone and replaced with a little arrow to click to display the contents.................but you can onley see it in the Air theme.

but window grouping works with other themes now (how meney I dont know)

now we wate for Ktorrent to get fixed and I may be happy agin.........LOL

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Here with the Kubuntu Maverick Meerkat. In time it will became the Kubuntu 10.10. It is under development > Topic: The ususal pre-release caveats and tips. The plan(s) with the Meerkat is > Topic: Maverick - KDEPIM/Video player/font/browser/... >> Kubuntu Todo:
          Ship with Pulseaudio and get feedback
          The Kubuntu 10.04 KDE 4.5 packages are backported from the Maverick.

Fixing things > Packages Available for KDE Platform, Plasma and Applications 4.5.0:
          Bugs in packaging should be reported to kubuntu-ppa on Launchpad. Bugs in the software to KDE.

Workaround (working at here)

Before - the pulseaudio is not giving (KDE) options with my hardware. The alsamixer is working ok
          [img width=400 height=231]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/7771/pulsec.png[/img]

Removing the Pulse:
          Completely removed the following packages:
          gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
          pulseaudio
          pulseaudio-esound-compat
          pulseaudio-module-x11
          pulseaudio-utils
          Boot with the notification:
          [img width=400 height=157]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4619/gonea.png[/img]

... and there will be the standard KDE KMixer options.
          [img width=400 height=157]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1186/70935793.png[/img]
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

thanks @Rog131 .......as usuale you are the MAN........yes you are 8)

Kmix is back to it's old self now as per your instructions.

AND the mising Ktorrent packages are in the repo and it's back to it's old self now to.......so glad it dident remove the ktorrent data when it wouldent upgrade and got removed........now it works and all my torrent's are seeding agin

1 more querk amarok's video window has ben shrunk ........it displays in 1/2 the space avalable for it??

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Actually I don't use PulseAudio as it screws up so much on my machines. I also moved away from the XINE backend for Phonon and went with GStreamer. Fixed a good bit. Messes up Amarok, but I haven't used that in a while due to that but other packages for Audio Playback work just as well as Amarok. Mu upgrade went well no issues. I've been quite impressed. I do agree with the whit icons, but I too think I will eventually get use to it. I like the new System Settings layout as well as KINFO Center. Very nice on those. So far so good here.

Comment

Oops...

I followed this advice:

Completely removed the following packages:
                gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
                pulseaudio
                pulseaudio-esound-compat
                pulseaudio-module-x11
                pulseaudio-utils
                I lost all audio in firefox. I discovered I need to reconfigure xine to work with alsa instead of pulse; done, now you tube works. But I cannot figure out how to get mplayer to work. It keeps saying "no audio driver", even though alsa is listed. Any ideas how to reconfigure this?
                I also lost the audio from the yahoo mail notifier extension in firefox. I do have everything in kmix maxed.

Edit: The problem seems to be that, even after removing pulseaudio, alsa is still trying to connect to pulseaudio, and of course it can't. I get error messages about alsa-lib not being able to connect to pulseaudio. How do I reconfigure this?

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

?
                  my firefox has audio in you tube and GMplayer .........KMplayer and VLC give that extra X window and KMplayer even display's the vidio in it .

I'm using the gstremer backend to phonon

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I don't think that's the problem. Alsa still thinks it should be playing through pulseaudio, and I'm not sure how to reconfigure it.
                    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

when you removed all those pulseaudio packeges you purged them right?

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, apt-get remove --purge

I am starting a new thread on this, as it's done major damage to the sound system. I do have a backup, but I still want to get it working if possible.

Edit: Removing /etc/asound.conf got alsa working, but still no audio out of some things (yahoo mail notifier) in firefox. I suspect a firefox configuration problem at this point.

Comment

Working...
                        X