Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huh? How to play an audio-CD on 10.04 - Kubuntu??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh? How to play an audio-CD on 10.04 - Kubuntu??

[And after 10 years on Linux I always thought that was easy ...]

So, whenever I insert an audio-CD of the old style, it shows as 'Device plugged in' and offers Extract with K3b, Copy with K3b, Dolphin and Amarok. But whatever I do, nothing works:
    Amarok is quiet, and says 'No track playing', whatever I do. Even if I do 'Amarok->Play media ...'. Quiet, nothing playing.
    Dolphin shows a bunch a folders, CDA, FLAC, Full CD, Information, Ogg as subdirectories, plus the (expected) .wav files. I don't think all audio-Cds suddenly have all kind of audio-formats!!?
    And when I click on any of the (.wav) files, like 'open with mplayer', also nothing happens, except the notification box pops up and tells me that it is copying. No idea where to; it is silent on the why and the where. And still, nothing to be heard when the copy is over; and here it takes a few minutes for an audio track of some 10 minutes.
    If 'open with Movie Player', once the copying is finished, it says "The playback of this movie requires a AUDIOCD protocol source plugin which is not installed."

All this is very strange and unexpected to me. Wasn't playing audio-CDs something we could do 15 years ago??

I'm really stumped! Can someone please enlighten me what is going on here??

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

Re: Huh? How to play an audio-CD on 10.04 - Kubuntu??

Here Kubuntu 10.04 / KDE 4.4.2 / Amarok 2.3.1

Inserting a CD, the Device Notifier pops up with available actions.
    [img width=272 height=400]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1637/actions.png[/img]

Here the Amarok can't populate the playlist (settings ?)

I need to right click and "add- to -playlist" and press play.

Other options can do this a bit better > Topic: Media Players (Bangarang, KsCD, Kaffeine...)

Dolphin shows a bunch a folders, CDA, FLAC, Full CD, Information, Ogg as subdirectories, plus the (expected) .wav files...
    It is kio-audiocd. More:
    > KIO Slavery
    > Topic: Dolphin: audiocd:/ doesn't show me a mp3-folder
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Huh? How to play an audio-CD on 10.04 - Kubuntu??

Yep, the device notifier pops up. 'Amarok'. Then Amarok starts minimized (in the systray). When I click it, no, it doesn't show 'Audio CD' like in your example. By no means.
      But Amarok works, because I can choose a file from the hard drive and play it.

Okay, so I was playing with the stuff on the left hand side, until I clicked 'back' and had reached 'home', and from there, when clicking 'Local Music', finally, among others the Audio CD shows up.

Still, as long as I don't 'add to playlist' nothing happens.
      Then it works.

Oops, that's more un-intuitive than bash-programming!
      I'd really expect the Audio-CD to pop up in Amarok, not the user search through all Internet, Playlists and whatnot.

Thanks anyway for showing one way to get an Audio-CD playing ...

What, then, was that strange 'copying' before mplayer / Media Player would start?

Uwe

Comment

Working...
      X