X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change system icons ?

Hi

I found a nice icon theme that I'd like to have on the 'whole' system. At first I thought that there wasn't any icons for certain tasks (forward/backwards arrows for instance in Rekonq) but there are, how would I go about to install icons on the whole system.

I've installed them through Systemsettings > Icon themes, I guess it would be possible to change icons for each application, but that could be a task I'm not up for, and it wouldn't effect actions such as empty/full trashcan. Another solution would to revert some icons to default, like the shutdown/sleep buttons shown no pic.

> Theme I'm testing

I guess this is a /root permission thing ? ...pics to show what I mean..

Forward and Backward buttons are K-menu in ReKonq (same in Konqueror)

The icon theme forward button shown - "NEXT"
    [img width=400 height=297]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_lockaEOgKQo/TDdgXwCgXRI/AAAAAAAAANs/6sS_S2XKcSY/icon_01.png[/img]

K-menu shutdown/Sleep/logout buttons are the same
    [img width=400 height=292]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_lockaEOgKQo/TDdgYBY61eI/AAAAAAAAAN0/Kg8Och9gvm4/icon_03.png[/img]
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Change system icons ?

I'm typically too busy/lazy to play with the KDE eye candy, but out of curiosity (in KDE 4.4.4 on sidux) I clicked System Settings > Appearance > Icons. I have 3 themes -- this is default KDE 4.4.4 -- "Oxygen Team", "Default Gnome Theme", and "Crystal SVG". At the bottom of the window is an "Install Theme File" button. I clicked it and it opens a URL window. I don't see anything requiring root access, and indeed I would not expect to, unless a new package needs to be installed -- a desktop theme is a classic user-space preference.

Comment

I took a look at the theme at Kde-Look, and it is a Kde3 icon theme, which means you'll have some odd behaviour if you try to apply it to Kde4 (as seen in your screenshot).

One comment for the icon set mentions that you can try to convert it to a Kde4 theme - no idea how well that works:

Icon Converter
      by fyarball on: Sep 12 2009

For those wishing to convert kde3 themes to kde4, I found this while Googling:

http://svn.pardus.org.tr/viewcvs/tru...r/?root=uludag

It works quite well because it keeps it simple and converts only the core kde icons, but you will have to copy over any custom application icons you want in the output icon theme. You can also tweak the icons copied by editing the map file.

It works with Crystal Project
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

And because it's a KDE3 icon theme, it likely doesn't contain all the icons used now in KDE4.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

indeed my fault no wonder, still a pretty icon theme ...wish it be 4.x

can those icons for quit/sleep/logout be converted somehow ?
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

can those icons for quit/sleep/logout be converted somehow ?
            The names of the icons have been changed.

KDE3 -> KDE4
            next.png -> go-next.png
            previous.png -> go-previous
            etc...

You could simply rename the icons but as the "Yuri sss " told the easiest way is to use some icon converter (icon renamer).

Icon theme is a bunch of pictures + a index file (index.theme) > Icon Theme Specification.

Icon directories:
            System wide: /usr/share/icons/
            User (System Settings > Appearance > Icons): ~/.kde/share/icons/

More:
            > Topic: HOWTO : create own (partial) icon theme

> Development/Tutorials/KDE4 Porting Guide:
            Icons

KDE4 uses the freedesktop.org icon naming specification as the basis for icon names. This means that both the icons that ship with KDE4 (Oxygen) as well as components in kdelibs that use icons follow this specification...
            > Ikon - KDE-Apps:
            Description:
            Application for editing Icon themes, with a drag and drop interface.
            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
            X