Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Middle mouse button doesn't paste - fixable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Middle mouse button doesn't paste - fixable?

Used to be that I could select text, and then paste it with the middle mouse button. That feature seems to have disappeared from all of my kde systems. I can't find anything in systemsettings > input_actions or keyboard_&_mouse that addresses this. Any way to get this back? It was more convenient than the select-and-drag method.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Middle mouse button doesn't paste - fixable?

Kubuntu 9.10 here.

It works for me, even in this reply. I highlighted text and positioned the mouse cursor and pressed my middle button and the contents of what I had highlighted were pasted.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kubuntu 10.04 here
      No problems highlighting text and pasting it with middle button.
      Regards
      Intel DG41TY Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz 3.9 GiB of RAM

Comment

Well, it doesn't work here, and I notice that it's not just kde, but gnome also. So it may be an xorg issue, and not specifically kde.
        If you wouldn't mind, would someone who has this working post the "Input Device" section for xorg.conf that deals with the mouse. Mine is as follows:

Code:
        Section "InputDevice"
          # generated from default
          Identifier   "Mouse0"
          Driver     "mouse"
          Option     "Protocol" "auto"
          Option     "Device" "/dev/psaux"
          Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
          Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        EndSection
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

On my machine I have all the InputDevice sections commented out. On my machine, hal just works.

Comment

Working fine here (posting this from sidux/KDE 4.4, running kernel 2.6.34-0 ...) -- a plain vanilla Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical USB mouse. Here is the piece of xorg.conf, which was written by nvidia-xconfig:

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
            Identifier "Mouse0"
            Driver "mouse"
            Option "Protocol" "auto"
            Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
            Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
            Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
            Identifier "Keyboard0"
            Driver "kbd"
            The mouse part is identical to yours -- apparently the problem you are seeing is not caused by xorg.conf. Hmmmm -- if it's not KDE settings and not xorg.conf, then I'm not sure where else to look.

EDIT: Confirmed it works the same in Kubuntu 10.04, and xorg.conf is the same.

Comment

I'm beginning to think it's a hardware failure in the mouse itself. The joystick app in input devices shows all the other buttons on the mouse when they are presses. but not the middle on. Guess M$ is punishing me for not using windows.

Comment

Twice now I have had a similar experience -- pasting with the mouse just stops working. A system reboot fixes the problem.

I am using Kubuntu 9.10. I have a Logitech Wireless USB mouse.

I should have tried unplugging the usb "dongle" but didn't think to do that. Next time.

Comment

Sorry I didn't follow up on this.
                  Confirmed hardware failure. Replacing the mouse fixed it.
                  Also, pressing left & right mouse buttons emulates the middle button.

Comment

Working...
                  X