X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with KDE 4.4 "snap" function

Hi

Since using KDE 4.4 I have used the snap feature on a number of occasions. However, I have noted that with 2 of my applications, konsole and firefox, on launch they now default to the left half of the screen. I can then resize them obviously but even if I close them off in a full screen state on next relaunch they are stuck to the left half of the screen. It's no big deal with Konsole but irritating as hell with firefox.

Can anyone advise me how to restore the default view please, short of reconfiguring the KDE desktop?

Thanks

Re: Problem with KDE 4.4 "snap" function

How about right click to left hand corner->advanced->special settings?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Unfortunately they had no effect.

Now this is odd, and it only applies to Firefpx and Konsole, for whatever reason I don't know. If I maximise the applications, and then close them, on reopening they resume their pre-maximised state. That is I assume what kept them within the confines of the half of the screen to which they had been "snapped". If I drag them out of that, and then maximise and close them, they open in the position to which they were dragged. Again, they won't open in a maximised state.

One observation is that firefox and konsole would now appear to be best friends and have agreed not to get in each others way. If I open one it will open towards the left of the screen (although not snapped to fill half the screen) and the other will invariably appear to the right of it. If I open one and move it towards the right of the screen (although not "snapping" it) the other will cosy up to the left. Each seems to gravitate towards the area not covered by the other. It only seems to happen with firefox and konsole. What makes it bizarre is that the 2 will stick to that regime (1st to launch on the left, second on the right) even if a full screen application intervenes and even following reboots

Sorry if this seems a load of rambling nonsense but it's not easy to describe.

Comment

Sorry if this seems a load of rambling nonsense but it's not easy to describe.

I don't know. I dragged my firefox at the first start to the middle of my screen and automatically filled out the screen. It has behaved like that since. Konsole always goes to the top left.
        when I have both open I just "tab" them together.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

How about right clicking on firefox frame - configure window behaviour - window specific (down bottom on left hand side) - settings for firefox (right hand side) - modify - geometry (third tab) - tick both maximized horizontally and vertically? That should work, albeit a somewhat cumbersome way out. Sorry...

And the "snap" function is called tiling - something KDE has adopted from WMs such as awesome or xmonad which are tiling window managers. Another good example of tiling in a programme is terminator - superb if you ask me. Anyway, KDE is going to improve the very basic tiling functionality it currently has - 'kin great!
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad

And the "snap" function is called tiling
            Must stop watching those windows 7 ads

Thanks, I'll try your suggestion when I get home tonight

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              And the "snap" function is called tiling - something KDE has adopted from WMs such as awesome or xmonad which are tiling window managers. Another good example of tiling in a programme is terminator - superb if you ask me. Anyway, KDE is going to improve the very basic tiling functionality it currently has - 'kin great!
              I think that this feature should be called "quick tiling" (or "snap tiling") to distinguish it from automatic tiling, which is a feature available in KDE SC 4.5 (and similar to tiling WMs), with which opened windows are tiled automagically.

Comment

Exactly, and that is the one I'm really looking forward to. I've been using pytile which does the job, but native tiling integration is the biz
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

It works nicely on maveric and kde4.5 beta1 testing with lucid
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                  X