• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.5 Beta 1 first impressions

Originally posted by Fintan
    Login:
    - KDM does not remember username
    I'd say this is because kdm now runs as user "kdm" by default (and not as "root", this is configurable in kdmrc), and previous user data is stored in /var/lib/kdm/kdmsts which is owned by root (and readable/writable for owner only).

I'd suggest setting ownerhip to kdm, so that kdm can access the data:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R kdm:kdm /var/lib/kdm
    (My guess is this bug affects only upgrades and not new installs)

Originally posted by Fintan
    Now lancelot is crashing all over the place (lucid lde4.5RC and Maveric).
    Lancelot works fine here, I'd suggest trying the default plasma theme (if you use another theme or a custom one), if it works there it's probably a theme issue. There are some theming changes in lancelot for 4.5, which might cause issues with older themes (or custom themes created from previous versions)

Comment

I gave up on Dolphin for now I'm just using Krusader which I'm beginning to prefer anyway.

Comment

Now I can't even login normally... I even moved .kde to a backup folder, let it recreate the folder and every single time I try to login I go back to the main menu... I'm sure there's nothing that's changing the resolution or the refresh rate, so what the is happening here?

After the latest upgrade I can now log into xconsole and then enter startx and get inside but that's not how it's supposed to work and if I change the refresh rate...
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Can you login long enough to create a new user and test that login?

Comment

Well, Plasma crashes when I click some of System Settings options... so I can't answer for sure, yet.
            Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
            Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
            Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
            X