This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Ubuntuforums isn't rendered correctly using Konqueror

Okay, I've been dealing with this for some time now, and it's getting frustrating, and I don't know why it is happening, or what can be done to remedy it.

I use Konqueror. I like it. I don't want to (have) to install Firefox or any other browser. Konqueror works great for me, except when going to ubuntuforums.org. (there are some other sites I've visited, where I see similar problems).

When going to ubuntuforums.org, none of the sites pages render correctly. Some of the text is overlaid other parts. Lines don't wrap properly.

What is it about their site, that doesn't render correctly in Konqueror? How, if it is possible, do I remedy this?
    Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Ubuntuforums isn't rendered correctly using Konqueror

Have you tried switching styles? This may not help. Both of their styles seem to work for me, and I can't see any difference, anyway.

Comment

Are you using Konqueror as well.?

Comment

Okay, I installed Firefox (Version: 3.6.3+nobinonly-0ubuntu4). As I expected, Ubuntuforums displays properly in Firefox. Is this a deliberate attempt by Canonical to create a 'problem' for the KDE community who desire to use Konqueror as opposed to (their preferred browser) Firefox?

Comment

I'm booted into sidux atm, but I just now opened Konqueror which I never have used, so it is bare default KDE 4.4.3. Ubuntu Forums looks just great -- no sign of any problem such as you describe.

This is on my desktop rig, so the hardware and drivers are way different than yours, but I think it must be something about "styles" or "settings" or something like that.

EDIT: System Settings > Appearances > Fonts, default system font is Bitstream Vera sans 10

In Konqueror Settings > Configure Konqueror > Web Browsing > Appearance > Fonts, I have the minimum font size at 7, the medium at 12, and default size adjustment of zero. It's all default.

Comment

I changed the 'style' (on ubuntuforums) while I was logged in - made no difference. I've tried all the Konqueror settings I can think of that might affect what I'm seeing, but nothing changes it.

Same rig, running Firefox, renders the site correctly. So, it isn't my GPU.

Comment

If I change the settings in Konqueror (Settings > Configure Konqueror... > Appearance > Stylesheets) and check Use accessibility stylesheets, then Ubuntuforums renders 'more completely' but not 100% (not the upper right corner where the login are is). But this is an unacceptable option, as the full formatting and rendering of sites is limited to what is 'compatible'.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                EDIT: System Settings > Appearances > Fonts, default system font is Bitstream Vera sans 10
                I'll be dipped. Changing the General font to Bitstream Character [I don't have Bitstream Vera sans] (in fact it appears, to [almost] anything other than Sans Serif, which it was, and the rest of the fonts are, set to) does the trick. The site renders the text correctly, as in my last pic. The loging area still has the overlap, as shown in the last pic, but that's acceptable.

Thank you.

Comment

Interesting.
                  The DejaVu fonts are modifications of the Bitstream Vera fonts designed to extend this original for greater coverage of Unicode. It is being included by default in all modern Linux distributions, and everywhere you were thinking to use Bitstream Vera, DejaVu is another option with a more complete Unicode set.
                  I just reset the General font back to DejaVu Sans and Ubuntuforums is still rendering correctly. I'm about to shutdown Konqueror and relaunch and check again. If Ubuntuforums still renders correctly, well, I don't know what to say, but I'll be happy none-the-less.

Comment

Well go figure! Relaunched Konqueror, and Ubuntuforums renders it's pages correctly, using the same General font I had been using when I originally started this thread. So what is it, that merely changing the General font, and changing it back again, that fixed the problem? Hmm. A mystery befitting Sherlock Tux.

So, do I uninstall Firefox, or keep it around? For now, I'll keep it 'just in case.'

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Ubuntuforums isn't rendered correctly using Konqueror

I don't have BitStream Vera, only charter. Where do you get it?
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Ubuntuforums isn't rendered correctly using Konqueror

I believe that font is included in the sidux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                          So, do I uninstall Firefox, or keep it around? For now, I'll keep it 'just in case.'
                          Well I would suggest using webkitkde with konqueror and/or rekonq. It works like a charm (except that it has smootscrolling enabled by default - which is slow). Thanks to webkitkde, I fell in love with konqueror again.
                          And Chromium would be my second choice, since it is really fast and has built in bookmark syncronization support.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                          X