This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screen saver coming or or going off by itself while using the computer

I updated Karmic and installed Nvidia driver 195 and now the screen saver will start every 30 seconds and go off by itself after 30 seconds. Or if I use mouse or keyboard I must enter my password to get in.

I uninstalled gnome power manager. I uninstalled all screen savers and I still had the problem. Haver tried system settings with no effect. If I change the picture or screen saver type it will use the screen saver selected but still will come on or go off by itself.

Gnome power manager is not running because kill show it is not running.

Not sure where to look for the error. I also renamed xorg.config to old and tried command to rebuild xorg.config with nvidia driver but it gave and error message will try again and will post the error.

Not sure what to try next to stop random screen saver start and stops.

Thank you for any help you can provide. If there is a post with fix sorry I did not find it.

Here is the xorg.conf file settings to see if anyone can see what is wrong. I have tried to reconfigure the xorg without any success.

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Fri Mar 12 02:12:40 PST 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Have this error when using nvidia xserver to set up my xorg file.

Unable to open x config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf for writing

I renamed the xorg.conf and restarted the computer and have a desktop and no xorg.conf file in my X11 folder.

Can someone tell me which file is now used to control display?

Desktop Support
    0%
    KDE Support
    0%

Re: screen saver coming or or going off by itself while using the computer

Have you tried switching to nvidia 173 driver?
    Ya hear that? That's the blues callin' baby.

Comment

Re: screen saver coming or or going off by itself while using the computer

Well, you've got a few issues and questions in there...

1. With the latest xorg versions the xorg.conf file is only used if it is present. It's not generated automatically anymore. If you had permission problems, it's likely you attempted editing without super user status or you still ahd x running

2. nvidia-settings is primarily a user-space tool. The two ways to use it and save a new xorg.conf are:
      • a. Save the xorg.conf file to your home directory and then move it using "sudo" commands to /etc/X11
      • b. Launch nvidia-settings from a terminal as super user with this command;

kdesudo nvidia-settings

3. When you say "screen saver" are you referring to a moving graphical image that replaces your desktop to prevent screen burn-in or is you monitor going black A black screen could be dpms or some other totally unrelated problem.

If it's an actual screen saver, have you tried removing all of them, going into System Settings and selecting "Blank Screen" under Desktop > Appearance > Screen Savers and restarting X?

I have no screensavers at all and the only library that refers to screensavers required on my system is libxss1, which is not really a screensaver file.

Another place for you to look for answers is /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X