This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to stream movies across internet

I have a personal movie server in my house. I copied all my personal DVD's to it. I want to be able to access the movies from the internet. I have Kubuntu 10.04 on my notebook and I can't seem to find a good piece of software to do this.

I tried Ampache, but it does not work with MKV files properly. Is there any way within KDE to do this properly

Thanks in advance!

Re: Best way to stream movies across internet

First of all you need to redo the subject so others know what you're posting about. You'll get more response.

Second of all, this isn't really a KDE issue at all. It's a networking one. KDE, Gnome, OS/x, windows - they all can do this.

Please Read Me

Comment

What oshunluvr says, and ...

Among other methods you can use the NFS or you can use SAMBA on both machines and then use Systemsettings --> Sharing to set them up. To access them use Dolphin, click on the Network Icon in the Places panel, then choose "Samba Shares".
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        What oshunluvr says, and ...

Among other methods you can use the NFS or you can use SAMBA on both machines and then use Systemsettings --> Sharing to set them up. To access them use Dolphin, click on the Network Icon in the Places panel, then choose "Samba Shares".
        I understand, but I want to be able to do this across the internet. Can this be done through a VPN?

Sorry for the dumb post title, didn't really know how to word it well.

Comment

re> post titles - it's really about getting the right kind of attention to your post so you get answers.

anyway - file sharing via the internet is kind of a complicated. You want your home movies or music available to you at work or something??

If you have a fixed IP it's not too hard to set up apache and log onto your server. Floating IP's are a little tougher. Or maybe you could use Ubuntu One to store some files and access them - be care of copyrighted material.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jerky
            Can this be done through a VPN?
            Yes a VPN. It will be more trouble than it's worth, but it will be a fun/learning experience.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

I actually am not a noob, I do have a VPN in place now, but I have trouble doing a VPN then doing SAMBA. I have not tried NFS through a VPN. SAMBA I have trouble doing video files within the LAN. Are there any special packages I need to watch a video through SAMBA?

Comment

I would look into VLC.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/29/h...ing-using-vlc/
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by Jerky
                  I understand, but I want to be able to do this across the internet. Can this be done through a VPN?
                  VPN's are nice IF your IP address is not local, i.e., not 192.168.*.*, such as those dispensed by a wireless. IP addresses in the 192.*.*.* range are not visible on the Internet specifically to enable the creation of private networks. So, using a wireless connection, even if you used krfb to send an invitation to someone else it would have a URL of VNC://192.168.x.y:5900, and their VNC client could not "see" your address.
                  You have been invited to a VNC session.
                  If you have the KDE Remote Desktop Connection installed, just click on the link below.
                  vnc://invitation:J47j-met@192.168.1.101:5900
                  Otherwise you can use any VNC client with the following parameters:
                  Host: 192.168.1.101:5900Password: J47j-met
                  For security reasons this invitation will expire at 03/14/10 04:43 pm (America/Chicago).
                  So, krfb works well with PCs on the same LAN segment. But, even if you replaced your "192.168.x.y" part with the the IP address assigned by your ISP to your cable modem it wouldn't work because your modem doesn't have a ":5900" port

However, IF your PC is connected directly to the cable modem, not via a wireless or out of the back of the wireless, then an krfb invitation would be Internet wide because the IP address assigned to your modem is also the IP address of your PC.

"PC <-- wireless router (cable or radio) <--- cable modem --> Internet" won't work
                  "PC <-- cable modem --> Internet" does work. But then, only one PC can use the cable modem.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X