X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Web Browsers Poor Web Page Loading Times

Hello,

I am using Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE 4.4. Generally I prefer KDE/QT Web browsers to surf the web. I have Konqueror, Rekonq and Arora installed on my system. But there is a common annoying situation which I have noticed about all the above mentioned web browsers: They took a long time to load a single web page (without any flash animations). To be clear, the problem is not about web page rendering times. It is about connecting and retrieving informatin from the target sites. For instance, where these browsers all take 3 to 6 seconds to retrieve/load a web page, Google Chrome loads the same web page almost instantaneously. It takes three or four times more with KDE/QT web browsers to load a web page.

Is this the regular behaviour of KDE Web browsers, or is it a bug? If so, how can I solve this issue? Franky, I don't really like to use GTK based Chrome instead of Rekonq or Konqueror.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Re: KDE Web Browsers Poor Web Page Loading Times

Several factors could be affecting your performance.

Is the browser cache disabled in them? I choose to disable the use of a cache in Konqueror. That of course, means that any site I visit must be fetched each time. That is going to increase the time it takes to fully render the pages.

What DNS(s) are you using? This could also be an issue.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hello Snowhog,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am using Google DNS (which is working very well). I was using OpenDNS before. Also, I have the cache disabled on KDE browsers, but still no change. Idon't know but, I'm using Chrome on same machine, as I've stated above, it has no problem with any loading time. It resolves web addresses instantaneously, where others take too much time. Even Arora (Which is not a KDE browser) is very slow. Are there any KDE or QT specific network settings file which I should check/modify?

Comment

Well, it is very likely that Google Chrome and the use of Google's own DNS are 'optimized.' I might even suggest, that Google, by design, may check the browsers identification to see if it's Chrome or a non-Chrome browser, and incorporate 'speed bumps' as it were, for non-Chrome browsers. Of course, that's the conspiracy part of me speaking. M$ has/is prone to this kind of practice.

I would conduct a test, using Konqueror. In Konqueror, you can change it's identification that visited sites are presented with. Konqueror > Tools > Change Browser Identification and try M$ browser identities and Googles own Chrome on XP. It would be interesting to see if your speeds increase, and if it does, would confirm my 'conspiracy' thoughts above.

Comment

Well, I think we have to say goodbye to Google conspiracy I've changed browser id in Konqueror, but unfortunately nothing changed. I guess, this is a qt issue, since arora suffers from this performance drops too. There is one more interesting thing about this problem: sometimes sites do not load completely. I mean, the Kde browsers on my machine just cut (or, maybe, they think that all the requested data are retreived) connection randomly.

Comment

Given your latest description, I'd say that you have some underlying issue with your system itself. A missing plug-in maybe? Just a guess. On my system, Konqueror runs just fine. Pages load quickly (not blazingly fast, but not slow either). Sites using Java and/or Flash work just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X