X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop folder

Hi all,

How do you add launching icons (ie firefox, kopete, etc.. ) to the desktop folder? I cannot seem to figure this out. I have tried right click/add to desktop, but it doesn't go into the desktop folder. I have tried to drag n drop - doesn't work.

Mike

txWingMan

Re: Desktop folder

Your Kubuntu/KDE version ?

With the KDE 4 (working here) > Plasma FAQ:
    Why was the way the desktop operates changed?

The idea of a Desktop folder is fundamentally a broken concept. It assumes that everything you will access there resides on a single physical directory on your disk. It may be convenient, but at the same time it greatly limits what you can do. For example, you can't use custom layouts for different desktops, as everything would be read from the directory. Also, quite often a desktop structured like that becomes a dumping ground for files and folders, without any other function.

What is the Folder View applet?

The Folder View applet, like its name says, is used to display items (folders, files) from a directory. Such a directory can be either a local one residing on your computer, but also a remote FTP, SSH, or SMB share. In the future, it will even contain results from Nepomuk searches and tagging.

You can choose to view either all files, or filter either by specific regular expressions (e.g., all files with a certain extension) or by file type (for example, just images).

This applet also supports basic file management properties (moving, copying, cutting and pasting for example), and you can have as many as you want on your desktop.

Lastly, you can use one Folder View as the whole desktop, effectively replicating the "old style" paradigm.

Can I place icons on the desktop?

Of course you can. Dragging an icon from Dolphin or Konqueror to the desktop will work. Notice that dragging on the desktop will not actually create a file there, just a link to it.

To display the contents of your Desktop folder, or any other folder, use the Folder View applet.

Alternatively, right-click on an empty area of the desktop, select "Desktop Settings" and in the dialog that will pop up locate the "Desktop Activity" text. Click on the "type" combo box and select "Folder View". Click OK and you will have a Folder View applet as desktop (showing the contents of the Desktop folder by default), like the "old style" paradigm.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
      Your Kubuntu/KDE version ?
      9.10 RC

So how does one, using Desktop View, add to the desktop plasmoid or whatever it's called?
      txWingMan

Comment

If you really want to add program icon to your desktop folder you can right click on the desktop folder
        and select CREATE NEW-LINK TO APPLICATION then select APPLICATION and in the NAME field enter dolphin and in the COMMAND field enter dolphin then click ok.

Now you can drag applications to the desktop folder and then remove dolphin from the desktop folder.

From then on you can continue to add icons to the desktop folder

Comment

Thank you both. I will try it again tonight.

Mike
          txWingMan

Comment

Working...
          X