X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution changed - nvidia card - a solution found - xorg.conf

Hope this helps someone

Running ubuntu 8.04 and KDE3 desktop.

On reboot my screen resolution dropped from 1280 x 1024 to something a lot lower. This pretty much disabled my access as windows opened to fix the screen resolution from KDE or Gnome would only be partly accessible as only about half were visible. Also any resolutions other than the new low one were not available in the drop-downs.

A bit of googling led me to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

So, using a terminal and command line to avoid resolution problems whilst I fix stuff I found that there was also a file xorg.conf.1 dated a few days ago, as was xorg.conf itself.

xorg.conf1 and xorg.conf were text files. They both seemed to specify screen stuff including resolutions. xorg.conf1 was the smallest and seemed not to specify very much, presumably relying on defaults. xorg.conf was a lot larger with lists of resolutions and it seemed to specify with a "mode" tag the new low resolution that I was stuck with. So I made a backup copy of xorg.conf and copied xorg.conf1 to xorg.conf and rebooted.

Everything back to normal

I suspect that an upgrade a few days ago had modified xorg.conf with extra bells and whistles that actually crippled my ability to reset the new low screen resolution because I couldn't access the appropriate windows. Fortunately a backup copy was made.

I suppose I should try changing the"mode" flag in my old copy of xorg.conf and copying it back, which will probably get me back to what the upgrade should have done. This might be a better way instead of copying back the xorg.conf1 file.

Re: Screen resolution changed - nvidia card - a solution found - xorg.conf

Since you're running an NVidia card, did you look at simply adding the NVidia driver? You need to enable Proprietary Drivers (Restricted) in the repositories first, but I've run numerous NVidias on numerous machines over the years with very few problems.

Comment

Working...
    X