This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Sort of funny) issue with logout and notification sounds

I noticed a few days ago that I couldn't log out (or reboot/shutdown) from kde on my karmic laptop. When I clicked on the confirmation dialog, nothing happened (well, the dialog disappeared).

I couldn't find anything in the logs, and everything seemed fine, log out just didn't happen.

Today I noticed that my system notification sounds weren't playing either (I usually run my laptop muted), and traced it back to xine which had somehow lost the ability to play .ogg files. I reinstalled libxine1-misc-plugins and deleted ~/.xine/catalog.cache and after an X restart my notification sounds were back.

My log out issue was related of course, seems that log out hanged when trying to play the log out notification sound...and after fixing the .ogg issue everything is back to normal.

This just strengthens my resolve that notification sounds are *evil* :P

Re: (Sort of funny) issue with logout and notification sounds

Originally posted by kubicle
    This just strengthens my resolve that notification sounds are *evil* :P
    I actually had an issue similar but was related to PulseAudio. How it got installed I don't know, but once completely removed, all was well. I used to like trying to find different Notification sounds, but I agree, they start getting in the way.

Comment

Working...
    X