This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taskbar Applet Moving Issues

I been trying out the new KDE 4.3 in Kubuntu 9.10rc and so far its nice. Only issue is I like my taskbars like they are in Gnome 2.x. But when I go to create a new taskbard and add the applets and stuff. They all move to one side and I can move them. Example would be placing the KMenu on the left and the Clock on the Right. But it doesnt seem to let me. Is there a new speacial way of making them stay put in 4.x that I may not know about. I dont ever remember this issue in 3.5.

Thanks,
    Exo
    Kubuntu 10.10 - 64bit<br />AMD Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz Quad Core)<br />4GB DDR2-800 (Dual Channel)<br />NVidia GTX460<br />WD Caviar Blue HDDs (4x 320GB, RAID0)

Re: Taskbar Applet Moving Issues

1. Moving panel widgets
    You can move panel widgets by drag-and-drop when the panel configuration bar is open. To open it, click the plasma icon ("cashew") in the panel. (if the icon is not visible, unlock widgets)

2. Placing widgets on the left/right end of a panel
    Normally, the task manager widget (open programs) takes up available space, so widgets on it's left align to the left end of the panel and widget on it's right align to right end. If your (secondary) panel does not have a task manager widget, you can add a "spacer" widget from the "panel configuration bar" mentioned earlier, and use that to align the widgets as you like.

Comment

Ahh the spacer widget. I actually was trying to use it as a work around but found it very hard to use if you was constantly adding/removing icons. This is something I should check with the KDE crew to see if they got any plans on addressing this. Thanks for your help. I know I searched for a week looking for this info and nothing seems to be posted about it..

Thanks,
      Exo
      Kubuntu 10.10 - 64bit<br />AMD Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz Quad Core)<br />4GB DDR2-800 (Dual Channel)<br />NVidia GTX460<br />WD Caviar Blue HDDs (4x 320GB, RAID0)

Comment

Originally posted by Exodist
        I actually was trying to use it as a work around but found it very hard to use if you was constantly adding/removing icons.
        Ah, in such a case the spacer widget might not be the best solution. IMO the spacer widget just wastes space anyway. Would you consider placing the task manager widget on the panel you wish to have your items aligned to left/right (possibly pager, notification area, clock etc.), and use the second panel as a sort of dock for your icons and stuff you change often (this panel could be smaller in width or auto-hiding to maximize screen space)...at least until a better solution comes along.

I know this is not exactly like gnome default panels, but usually that setup wastes some space as well.

This is something I should check with the KDE crew to see if they got any plans on addressing this.
        I'd vote for a feature to have align options in panel widgets (like "align this widget left/center/right -top/middle/bottom")

Comment

I don't have any use for a spacer widget but I was curious about it. I do not have that option, nor have I ever seen it in all the time I have been using KDE 4x. I have screen edge, height, add widgets, lock widgets, and more settings. I also have the arrows to adjust the panel. Am I missing something?
          Rob

Comment

Ahh the spacer widget. I actually was trying to use it as a work around but found it very hard to use if you was constantly adding/removing icons.
            Yeah, it's a terrible way to get what you want. I'm a recent GNOME convert and I really miss being able to decide where my icons go. The spacer widget is an awful way to manually place icons.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Example would be placing the KMenu on the left and the Clock on the Right.
              You mean like this?

[img width=400 height=250]http://ebassist.com/pix/karmic-desktop.jpg[/img]

The task manager widget takes up all unused space on the panel - anything on the right of it will display on the right side of the panel - anything on the left will display on the left side. Maybe that'll help get you what you want.
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by rb0171610
                I don't have any use for a spacer widget but I was curious about it. I do not have that option, nor have I ever seen it in all the time I have been using KDE 4x. I have screen edge, height, add widgets, lock widgets, and more settings. I also have the arrows to adjust the panel. Am I missing something?
                The spacer widget is integrated into KDE in KDE4.3 (so you're likely using older kde), you can add a spacer widget for jaunty KDE 4.2 from Rog131's ppa repository https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa (package 'plasma-widget-panelspacer'), although this widget doesn't appear into the panel configuration bar, you have to add it from the 'add widgets' dialog.

Comment

Working...
                X