Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right click on desktop - where is the normal menu to add a desktop shortcut?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right click on desktop - where is the normal menu to add a desktop shortcut?

I find plasma annoying, I hate widgets as it screws up applications like Kate editor, emacs and other std apps such as firefox with annoying effects. I had to remove it and stop them from working to get to be able to see what I type in a text box in any app. Fresh install, opend Kate and couldnt see what I typed.

How can I remove this cashew nut thing get rid of the widgets and find ADD REMOVE SOFTWARE in any menu? its not there, nor can I right click to add a short cut to the desktop - I just get the add widget menu, I find this annoying and pointless that there is no way to revert this back to a simple desktop. I choose KUbuntu due to Ubuntu being unstable with the CPU and video drivers (bg cpu at 100% all of the time) - so I looked into KDesktop coming from Gnome. Its a nightmare - you cant do a thing with anything.

I;m not excited about having to go back to gnome to get a flexible interface due to the video hassle and cpu issues so I know this may be unfair to attack the work done but its just annoying that 80% of the std icons from menus just dont exist - have to go into a terminal to hack around?

please advise.

Re: Right click on desktop - where is the normal menu to add a desktop shortcut?

For applications already installed, just open the Kickoff Application Launcher (in pre-plasma, the K Menu), find the application you want 'on the desktop' and right-click on it and choose Add to Desktop

If you are dead-set against Plasma, well, you are going to have a difficult time using the latest Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Right click on desktop - where is the normal menu to add a desktop shortcut?

Originally posted by badui

I find plasma annoying, I hate widgets ...

please advise.
      Under this circumstance, KDE 4 is not for you -- sorry, that is the advice, if you don't want plasma.

Comment

I find plasma annoying, I hate widgets
        Using the plasma desktop.
        > Plasma FAQ 4.3
        > Plasma FAQ 4.2

How can I remove this cashew nut thing
        > www.kde-look.org - plasmoids:
        a plasmoid to hide cashew.

Usage: Add the plasmoid to the desktop - cashew's gone. Remove the plasmoid - chashew reappears.
        Binaries can be found from the PPA repositories (> FAQ: Repositories) > Package name contains: cashew

...and find ADD REMOVE SOFTWARE in any menu?
        The Kubuntu 9.04 is using the KPackageKit package manager, K > System Settings > (Computer Administration) > Add and Remove Software. The fast lane: Alt+F2 and type kpackagekit.

If you don't want to use KPackageKit > FAQ: Package Managers

I;m not excited about having to go back to gnome...
        There are lot of options with the 'buntu:

> Kubuntu Kde3 Jaunty
        > Xubuntu

The latest (?) is the Lubuntu:

> Lubuntu
        > LXDE - first lubuntu test iso available
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Switching from an old familiar interface (like the REAL KDE) to something new and strange like KDE4 can be traumatic. At least it was for me, but with the help of the knowledgeable folks here, I have (almost) gotten used to it.

Emacs, Kate, and Firefox all seem to work properly for me. Can you please explain in detail exactly what you mean when you say "screws up applications". I'll bet that someone here can set you straight.

Also, what's your problem with the cashew?

Comment

Ok, the first, and easy, step to help with this is to turn of desktop effects. This can be found in System Settings in the Desktop section.

The second, and almost as easy, is to right-click on your desktop, select Desktop Settings, then in the Type section, change from Desktop to Folder View. This makes the desktop act like the old 'classic' style of desktop, with icons folders and shortcuts.

Comment

Working...
            X