This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail Backup emails

I'm trying to back up my email from the .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail directory and for some reason I can only copy some of the files (emails) and most of them can't be copied.

I don't see any problem with permisions, since all of them have the same attribute. Somebody know what could be the problem?

I'm using just the "cp" command in the shell.

Any suggestion, very welcome.

Re: KMail Backup emails

Originally posted by dmendizabal
    I'm using just the "cp" command in the shell.
    Can you give us the exact command you used?

If hidden files and folders are not copied, it's probably because you use the '*' wildcard, which by default doesn't include hidden 'dotfiles' (files and directories that start with '.')...in that case you can find more information on dotglobbing on this thread (for example):
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3102323.0

Comment

The command that I'm using is:

cp -r -u -v /home/daniel '/media/TOSHIBA EXT/Backup'

After the operation, I can see the .folders in my 'Backup'. I can see all the root from .kde/share/..../inbox and even some files (emails) inside this directory. But for some reason not all of them.

Comment

Believe it or not, many times it is just ownership and permission problems that prevent copying. Normally the source and destination paths are the same:

~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

Maybe in your case the source has different ownerships and/or permissions than the destination?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dmendizabal
          After the operation, I can see the .folders in my 'Backup'. I can see all the root from .kde/share/..../inbox and even some files (emails) inside this directory. But for some reason not all of them.
          Do you use subfolders in your inbox? Those mails should be in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.inbox.directory/, not ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/

Comment

Working...
          X