X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects wont work

yesterday i installed kubunto for the first time and so im kinda new
    so i tried to enable desktop effects [like explosion and stuff] and they wont work
    and didnt have any kind of error so....
    can anyone help me make them work?...

Re: Desktop effects wont work

You'll need to let us now what version of Kubuntu you installed, as well as the graphics card you have in your PC.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Desktop effects wont work(solved)

I am also having some time with this. nothing seems to work in desktop effects but all the gl screen savers work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

some specs:
      intel motherboard d850mv P4 1.8GHZ 1 gig ram
      nvidia geforce4 mx440 with agp8x/agp/sse2
      running twinview with a 17" Philips and a 17" Dell both crt's

I also have installed the drivers multiple times. I must be overlooking something.

output from glxgears:
      14768 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2953.479 FPS
      15115 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3022.981 FPS
      14965 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2992.960 FPS
      15155 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3030.849 FPS
      13974 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2794.669 FPS
      14832 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2966.351 FPS
      14820 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2963.868 FPS
      15082 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3015.277 FPS
      14401 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2880.065 FPS

xorg.conf file:
      # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
      # nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@palmer) Sun Feb 1 20:21:04 UTC 2009

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Monitor0"
      VendorName "Unknown"
      ModelName "PHILIPS 107S"
      HorizSync 30.0 - 71.0
      VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
      Option "DPMS"
      # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
      EndSection

Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device "Device0"
      Monitor "Monitor0"
      DefaultDepth 16
      Option "TwinView" "1"
      Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
      Option "metamodes" "CRT-0: 1280x1024 +0+0, CRT-1: 1280x1024 +1280+0; CRT-0: 1024x768 +0+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +1024+0; CRT-0: 800x600 +0+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +800+0; CRT-0: 640x480 +0+0, CRT-1: nvidia-auto-select +640+0"
      SubSection "Display"
      Depth 16
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

Section "Module"
      Load "dbe"
      Load "extmod"
      Load "type1"
      Load "freetype"
      Load "glx"
      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse0"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "auto"
      Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard0"
      Driver "kbd"
      # generated from default
      EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Layout0"
      Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
      EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier "Device0"
      Driver "nvidia"
      VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
      BoardName "GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X"
      EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "Xinerama" "0"
      Option "DontZap" "False"
      EndSection

section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "enable"
      Option "Render" "disable"
      EndSection

<br />[img width=200 height=120]http://photo.tazgeers.com/lMy_linux.png[/img]<br /> <br />Intel P4 @ 1.8GHZ<br />1 GB Ram | 2560x1024 Resolution on twinview<br />Nvidia Geforce4 mx440 agp8x Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10 w/KDE 4.3.1<br />

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running?

Comment

kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.2
          <br />[img width=200 height=120]http://photo.tazgeers.com/lMy_linux.png[/img]<br /> <br />Intel P4 @ 1.8GHZ<br />1 GB Ram | 2560x1024 Resolution on twinview<br />Nvidia Geforce4 mx440 agp8x Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10 w/KDE 4.3.1<br />

Comment

You can try this - edit (as root) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and comment the Option entries in the following section at the end of the file:
            section "Extensions"
            Option "Composite" "enable"
            Option "Render" "disable"
            EndSection
            So that it looks like:
            section "Extensions"
            # Option "Composite" "enable"
            # Option "Render" "disable"
            EndSection
            Save and restart X (assuming that the Ctrl+Alt+BkSp feature isn't disabled, else restart you system). Try to enable desktop effects. If still no luck, re-edit the file (as root) and remove the comments and change "Render" "disable" to "Render" "enable" and see if that helps.

Comment

I edited the xorg.conf as you suggested with no luck.
              commenting those two lines out or enabling Render only made it so that I could not enable desktop effects.
              I can enable the effects they just do not work for example ^f11 for the cube does nothing.

Comment

Under System Settings > Desktop > Advanced > OpenGL Options is Enable direct rendering checked?

Comment

the only way I can get effects to enable is with xrender it will not enable in opengl mode. Then its draws the screen very slow but I did get the zoom out to work. but that was all. There has to be something in my configuration somewhere.

Comment

Not sure if this has anything to do with the desktop effects but had an error show on my xscreensaver that nvidia could not access /dev/nvidiactl permission denied. before I grant permission I'm going to find out what that file does and why nvidia can't access it.
                    The permissions on the file are owned by root and group is video with video having +rw...... so why can't nvidia access it

BTW....thank you for all the help. some day I hope to pass it forward.

Comment

Do you want to give Compiz a try? I personally have had very spotty success with the Kwin cube effect, and I tend to just stay with Compiz and Emerald for the window decorator.

Comment

dibl
                        I did try compiz once but I think I did not config properly as it did less than kwin. I install though kpackagekit but I never could get it working.

Comment

It looks like you have the Nvidia driver installed correctly -- what version is it? I see you have a good frame rate from glxgears. I would think you could run Compiz and Emerald, if you want to, and get results. Here are the packages you will need:

compiz
                          compizconfig-backend-gconf
                          compizconfig-backend-kconfig
                          compizconfig-settings-manager
                          compiz-core
                          compiz-fusion-plugins-extras
                          compiz-fusion-plugins-main
                          compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
                          compiz-gnome
                          compiz-kde
                          compiz-plugins
                          compiz-wrapper
                          emerald
                          fusion-icon

Comment

dibl
                            I tried to get compiz working and no go but it did tell me a few things when I tried to enable it.
                            here is the output of that.

compiz --enable
                            Checking for Xgl: not present.
                            xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                            Detected PCI ID for VGA:
                            Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
                            Checking for non power of two support: present.
                            Checking for Composite extension: present.

/* this was what I was talking about in the above post */
                            Checking screen 1NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission denied).
                            NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.

/* guess I need to cut my resolution to get it to work */
                            Comparing resolution (2560x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Failed.
                            aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/kwin
                            kwin: Unknown option 'enable'.
                            kwin: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.

would you agree? also I have done some reading on that file nvidiactl and it seems to be a problem but I have not found a good fix yet. still reading

Comment

I would say start over by reinstalling the Nvidia driver, following this guidance:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4892#msg164892

The part at the red asterisk will fix your last error. You have to do it at the root "/" prompt.

Comment

Working...
                              X