Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade KDE 4.2 (or 4.3) on Kubuntu 8.10 ???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade KDE 4.2 (or 4.3) on Kubuntu 8.10 ???

I am using Kubuntu 8.10 and I want to upgrade it to KDE 4.2 (or 4.3). If I do that, there is no problem with my OS
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks.

Re: Upgrade KDE 4.2 (or 4.3) on Kubuntu 8.10

Hi

As far as I know, you can't. All KDE 4.2* releases have been packaged for Jaunty (9.04) only. KDE 4.3 has had many issues in the initial packages, now mostly solved, but again, only for Jaunty. Your best bet is to stay where you are.

If you are looking forward to a newer KDE, it may be better to wait for Kubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) and do a full upgrade. This is two months from now. Some new technologies didn't integrate well, early enough for Jaunty (things like KPackageKit, pulse audio + phonon).

If you are dying for trying it now, I would recommend upgrading to Jaunty, and then using this:
    http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2.4

You could also have KDE 4.3 in Jaunty, but it is newer and less stable (though nicer)

Comment

i am sure you can get kde 4.2 in 8.10 , but i would suggest upgrading to 9.04 via a distros upgrade (i will keep your os settings, mostly)

i used to run 4.2 beta in 8.10 but that was from the kde-neon ppa, i do not think you can get a version for 8.10 anymore (although if you compile it you can install it , but if you don't know about compiling software i would not attempt to do so)

basicly: if you want kde 4.2 , upgrade to kubuntu 9.04, or

deal with your computer as is, and install kubuntu 9.10 in october when it comes out.(4.3 is so very nice.....) or you can alpha test...
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Kubuntu 8.10 & KDE 4.2

The KDE 4.2.2 was backported, first to the Kubuntu PPA repositories and after a short test phase to the Ubuntu (intrepid-) backports. Ubuntu backports are also called Unsupported updates.

If you want to upgrade the Kubuntu 8.10 to the KDE 4.2.2 you need to enable the Intrepid backports / Unsupported updates and do a upgrade.

Links:

> FAQ: Repositories
        > FAQ: Package Managers
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I am using KDE 4.3 and it works great on 9.04. Not buggy at all looks great and everything works. The only thing not working is some Java, but I am using 64bit.

Comment

Working...
          X