This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallpaper directory (SOLVED)

What directory are the wallpaper files found in, and does kde have a wallpaper installer that can put in wallpapers other than the ones found in "apperance settings, get new wallpapers?

Thanks

Re: Wallpaper directory

This seems to be a changing situation. I installed KDE 4.3 Beta 2 the other day, and here is the situation as of now:

-- wallpapers are in /usr/share/wallpapers
    -- a right-click on blank plasma space brings up the dialog that includes "Desktop Settings" (neither Alt-S nor Alt-D are working here)
    -- in Desktop Settings, the default theme is "Oxygen" and the default wallpaper is "Air"
    -- if I click the "air" window, I get the other pre-loaded choices -- "Colorado Farm" etc. etc.
    -- if I click the diskette symbol beside the "air" window, it lets me browse my computer, including to my personal "wallpaper" folder
    -- it looks like I can select an image from my own files
    -- but the selection is not honored -- it goes back to "air"
    -- at the bottom of the Desktop Settings dialog is a "Get New Wallpapers" button which will take you to KDE-Look.org
    -- it looks like you could choose another source for your new wallpapers at this point
    -- but a click on the button reveals there are no other choices (yet)

Conclusion -- you can have any of the pre-loaded wallpapers, and probably you can have wallpapers from KDE-Look. That's all, apparently, as of now. One assumes a little more flexibility is coming with further development -- the hooks appear to be there waiting for implementation.

I hope that answers the question.

EDIT:

Heyyyyyyyyy -- I was wrong. (yet again!)

OK, when you choose your local wallpaper on your computer, it does not activate it for the working system. What it does is add it to the list of wallpapers in Desktop Settings, at the top (where you can't see it .... :P ). So, if you first choose the wallpaper that you want to add, then open the list again and scroll up, there's your choice at the top of the list. Cool! 8)

Comment

Re: Wallpaper directory

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X