X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE wont start-Solved

Hi.
    Since i updated my Kubuntu in Tuesday KDE wont start. I'm not really sure which part of KDE(kdm or kwin) it is, but after logging in my cursor appears and the screen stays in a bright grey. The Cursor is movable and i can change to the tty terminals. I already upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04, but that didn't change anything
    The later installed XFCE works and allows me to post here :-P
    What i already tried:
    • updating/upgrading via apt-get/aptitude
    • trying the options from the failsafe screen
    • dpkg --configure -a
    • stopping and starting kdm
    • installing kde-base and kdm via apt-get

I also checked the running processes. I don't really now what should be running, but plasma as well as kdm seem to run.
    The last thing that happens is, that Yakuake is telling me that it is available, although I'm not able to start it :-X

Please help.

Greetings

Edit: Just got the ownership of my home folder wrong. Chowned my way through and now it runs

Re: KDE wont start-Solved

This sounds like the problem I'm having. Except that it doesn't appear that Plasma is loaded or running. None of the desktop applets or panels load, including the kicker. I was upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04. I had previously upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10. I used the online upgrade option.

Comment

Re: KDE wont start-Solved

By that I assume you get a blank screen but you can run apps with alt+F2?

Try running a terminal and typing

Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
      This is quite a common issue when upgrading from KDE 4.3 to kde 4.4 due to structural changes between the 2.

That work?

Comment

Working...
      X