X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 8.10 freezing, any help would be appreciated

Hi

Sorry if im posting this in the wrong place, its just within the last 8 months or so ive started using Linux and so far im very impressed with it, ive been using Mandriva and Ubuntu and currently im using Kubuntu 8.10. I love the whole system.

My problem is that I have two installations of Kubuntu, one at home (on a laptop) and the second at work (tower)

At home it is dual booting with Vista Ultimate and every works superbly except that every now and again when booting into Kubuntu the splash screen loader shows and then the screen goes black as it would just before getting to the logon screen but the logon screen never appears, it does this between 1 & lets say 10 attempts then on the next reboot it suddenly starts working again and does so for a number of logons generally about 15 or so and then has the same problem again.

Also at work, im using it as a second PC but running on a standalone system, everything works excellent except that im running apache and nagios along with dovecot for testing purposes, but after leaving the pc turned on for a few days generally over a weekend i come in and the screen is black with only a cursor, i was told by a colleague that with gnome it could be a case of restarting the gdm process, and with kde it would be the kdm process, ive restarted this and it still doesnt come back on, i have to reboot to get the machine up and running. I rebooted the machine and disabled apache, nagios, dovecot and only left sshd running, thinking maybe it was running out of memory, although it has 1gb of ram to play with. But even after all these processes were stopped and left turned off, it still happened again, i ran top to check available memory via ssh before rebooting and all looks fine. Any suggestion as im thinking of rebuilding the installation yet again, having done this a couple of times already. The tower at work is a Dell GX620 and my laptop at home is a Advent 5511

Just to point out, in regards to my work pc black screen problem, i dont think its hardware as the machine itself carries on running, i do loose all custom routes however but ssh still works.

Kind Regards

Adam Copley

Re: Kubuntu 8.10 freezing, any help would be appreciated

Just so anyone who has a similar problem knows, it turns out that it was the screen saver that was killing the system, although it was the default blank screen as the screen saver so there may be a bug in kubuntu or simply its not 100% compatible with my hardware (Dell Optiplex GX620 (Works PC))

Comment

Working...
    X