Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different background images for different desktops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different background images for different desktops?

I like the KDE feature of multiple desktops. What I don't like is, ever since KDE 4.0 all my desktops are forced to use the same background image. Is this a Borg influence? "Different desktop images are irrelevant- you will be assimilated" What was wrong with the way it was? Different images help me quickly recognize where I am. I associate a particular background image with a particular class of applications. To me this was user friendly.

Did I miss something? Thanks for your time.

Re: Different background images for different desktops?

yea there is a weirdness w/ kde4. i have 4 desktops, then i can zoom out (cashew "zoomout") to see another 3 desktops , (they can have diffrent background) but then each of those 3 have 4 desktops, so wait i have 16 desktops total (default) with 4 diffrent backgrounds but 1 for every group of 4.

does that make ne sence, if not click on the cashew and zoom out you will get what i mean if you play w/ the "virtual desktops"
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Welcome to the Borg you will be assimilated :P Now repeat after US:

Three Desktops for the Elven-kings under the sky,
      Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
      Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
      One background to rule them all, One image to find them,
      One background image to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
        Welcome to the Borg you will be assimilated :P Now repeat after US:

Three Desktops for the Elven-kings under the sky,
        Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
        Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        One background to rule them all, One image to find them,
        One background image to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5505#msg165505

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
            yea there is a weirdness w/ kde4. i have 4 desktops, then i can zoom out (cashew "zoomout") to see another 3 desktops
            That "weirdness" is by design. Activities (accessible via 'zoom out' and 'activity bar') are separate from virtual desktops. Activities change widget sets (and different backgrounds if you like) but keep your open windows the same, while virtual desktops can have different windows open but use the same widget set and background.

It's possible to "align" activities with virtual desktops (to have different activities on different virtual desktops...see kjjjshab's link above)...and a GUI option to change this is planned in KDE4.3

Comment

Earlier > Topic: Multiple Desktops/Multiple Backgrounds?
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                Originally posted by sithlord48
                yea there is a weirdness w/ kde4. i have 4 desktops, then i can zoom out (cashew "zoomout") to see another 3 desktops
                That "weirdness" is by design. Activities (accessible via 'zoom out' and 'activity bar') are separate from virtual desktops. Activities change widget sets (and different backgrounds if you like) but keep your open windows the same, while virtual desktops can have different windows open but use the same widget set and background.

It's possible to "align" activities with virtual desktops (to have different activities on different virtual desktops...see kjjjshab's link above)...and a GUI option to change this is planned in KDE4.3
                I'm glad to hear that "aligning activities with desktops" will be a GUI option in 4.3. But great googly moogly, how do you ever expect to compete with Windows for popularity with this programmer's mindset? The average computer user doesn't care about the distinction between an activity and a desktop. This "alignment GUI" should have been part of KDE 4.0. Once you give us something useful and user friendly, don't take it away and tell us it's for our own good!

Comment

Originally posted by twixter
                  The average computer user doesn't care about the distinction between an activity and a desktop.
                  Generalizations are nearly always bad, how does one know what the average computer user thinks without extensive surveys.

IMO, the "average user" can use virtual desktops if he/she doesn't want to use activities. (I really don't think different wallpapers on virtual desktops is a "must have" feature for productive use).

I for one, am happy with the idea of separate vds and activities...I often switch widget sets (activities) while still wanting to work with the windows on that virtual desktop (and vice versa). To me, it adds features and options instead of removing them.

Activities also have other uses, like having a screensaver activity, with widgets on screensaver, for example.

Comment

I don't intend to start any sort of flame war, but there's a fundamental perspective
                    conflict here which I hope to understand better.

> Generalizations are nearly always bad, how does one know what the average
                    > computer user thinks without extensive surveys.

I don't know what the average computer user thinks. I was expressing an opinion.
                    Sorry for not making that clear.

> IMO, the "average user" can use virtual desktops if he/she doesn't want to use
                    > activities. (I really don't think different wallpapers on virtual desktops is a "must
                    > have" feature for productive use).

Well so what? My point is the KDE developers gave that feature to us, and
                    then they took it away. Apparently the explanation you are satisfied with is
                    "I really don't think you have to have that." Can you understand that this attitude
                    might be found somewhat irritating?

Comment

Originally posted by twixter
                      I don't know what the average computer user thinks. I was expressing an opinion.
                      Sorry for not making that clear.
                      No problem, I have no objection to expressing opinions, only with making a point of one's opinion being the norm (or universal). I understand that wasn't your intention, and I apologize for the "snappy" response.

Well so what? My point is the KDE developers gave that feature to us, and
                      then they took it away. Apparently the explanation you are satisfied with is
                      "I really don't think you have to have that." Can you understand that this attitude
                      might be found somewhat irritating?
                      Well...you can still have that...although the GUI option is not yet there.

There were (and still are) a lot of features missing in early KDE4 versions that were there in KDE3...it's not possible to rewrite every feature accumulated over the years of KDE3 development in the time frame KDE4 was created, so choices have to be made of which are "must have" features and which can be added back later.

My "must have feature" -remark wasn't meant to be read "you don't need that", just that KDE4 is usable without it (so it wasn't a priority for KDE4.0)
                      This "alignment GUI" should have been part of KDE 4.0.

Comment

Working...
                      X