X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.1 -> 4.2 upgrade broke my window manager

Originally posted by allanj
    What package is this "kwin3_oxygen.so" library in? Is it in the kde-window-manager package that I reinstalled?
    Yes, that's why I thought reinstalling it should help. also, reinstalling kde-window-manager has helped a number of people with similar symptoms (of course, similar symptoms does not mean it's the same problem).

The next thing I think you should try is reinstalling packages 'kdebase-workspace' and 'libkdecorations4'

Comment

Replaced both packages as you suggested, rebooted, same problem (ran the kwin replace command and saw that the error message was the same as before).

Comment

Replaced both packages as you suggested, rebooted, same problem (ran the kwin replace command and saw that the error message was the same as before).
        Dang...this is proving to be a tough one, and I'm running out of quick ideas to try :P

Let's try fiddling with kde-window-manager one more time:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get clean
        (clears the local package cache)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get purge kde-window-manager
        (this should also remove kdebase-workspace)
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install kdebase-workspace
        (this should also install kde-window-manager back)

You are running kwin as your window manager, btw, not compiz?
        Have you tried disabling desktop effects (if you have them enabled)?

Comment

I tried these three commands as suggested. All three ran without error. I then rebooted, but the problems still persists. I then repeated these commands, and I deleted my .kde directory, but again, no joy.

I have to get ready for work now. If you have any further suggestions by the time I get home, OK; otherwise, I'm reinstalling.

If this is the end of it, thanks for the effort.

Comment

If you have any further suggestions by the time I get home, OK; otherwise, I'm reinstalling.
            I can understand that, if you want to use your computer waiting weeks for a possible fix is probably not an option. You can of course try to reinstall the whole KDE4 first instead of full system reinstall. removing kdelibs5 should remove most things that might be responsible for your issues. installing kubuntu-desktop should bring it back (although you might need to reinstall programs you've added yourself). It's less drastic than a complete reinstallation, and I guess worth a shot.

Comment

Kubicle, these last suggestions worked. I'm now running with KDE 4.2. Yes, there seems to be a fair bit of reconfiguration to do to get things the way I want them, but far less than if I had done a full reinstall. It was a rocky upgrade, but I'm there and I guess that the price of living on the bleeding edge.

Yet again, thanks for your help. Best of luck in all your endeavors.--Allan

Comment

Glad you got it solved. It's unfortunate we weren't able to pin down the exact problem, but that's a secondary concern to getting your KDE up and running.

Comment

Had the same problem with upgrading to kde4.2. kubicle suggestion of removing kdelibs5 and then installing kubuntu-desktop solved it.

Comment

Before anyone does anything drastic like re-install, try changing the windowing theme in kde's system settings. I had this same problem, and changing the widget style and window decoration style to plastik (or plastique) fixed my window management.

Of course, I suspect the oxygen library is still corrupted, but since you wouldn't be using it any more, it wouldn't matter.

Comment

I didn't try plastique, but I did try ozone and get the same result. The problem is super-frustrating because you can't type in the konsole window or the alt-f2 window to get programs running.

I am not going to do the complete kde reinstall, but I think we will be seeing more of this. I got it yesterday by taking a fairly virgin hardy system with kde4, and upgrading it first to intrepid (which worked in the brief time I tried it) and then to jaunty, and the kwin problem arose. I did have an issue on the upgrade to intrepid, in that I interrupted the upgrade by accident and restarted with dpkg --configure, but I don't see it being the cause of this. If I had to hazard a guess I would point it at something related to having run kde4 early in hardy.

Note that I also tried removing my .kde and .kde4 directories to clear any personal settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X