This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted KDE desktop

I accidentally deleted the KDE 4.2 desktop while removing some Gnome apps. I was using Synaptic PM. I guess paying attention is a good thing. In any case, the system now only boots to the Kubuntu command prompt.

I am not that familiar with Linux/Kubuntu so I'm not sure if I can salvage my mistake or not. Can I do a reinstall the desktop from the command prompt? Can I use the LiveCD part of of the CD to salvage the desktop?

I made this mistake trying to do root-type things while not really conscious. I am asking questions instead of experimenting for the same reason. I guess I should learn about backups.

evil elvis

Re: Deleted KDE desktop

From the command line, type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Many thanks Snowhog. I am in your debt. I will endeavour to do more reading of the documentation.

It has taken me way too many years to move from Microshaft to Linux. This incident proves it was worth the switch. I recently had a comparable problem with XP. Took me two weeks to regain a usable system, and I sort of know my way around XP. Luckily I have two more computers. Until I can become at least a novice with Kubuntu, those computers will have to stay Windoze. This one I have set for dual boot.

Again, thank you.

evil elvis

Comment

Happy to have been of help.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X