X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create a shortcut on a panel ?

Hi,

the simple task of creating a shortcut on my KDE 4 panel seems to be too difficult for me.

I downloaded a nightly build of Firefox, that I've extracted in my home directory. I can launch it from Konsole by typing "~/firefox/firefox". All I want to do is to create a shortcut to the executable (~/firefox/firefox) in my main panel. How can I do that ?

The only way I found to add shortcuts on the panel is to right-click on an icon in Applications launcher and select "Add to panel", but I have no icon for my Firefix nightly build...

Thanks

Re: How to create a shortcut on a panel ?

One way is to make a .desktop file> Topic: GtoK: .desktop files
    The desktop entry specification describes desktop entries: files describing information about an application such as the name, icon, and description. These files are used for application launchers and for creating menus of applications that can be launched...
    and when you have a desktop file you can select "Add to panel"..

The easy way:

Use an existing .desktop file as a template (Konqueror - /usr/share/applications/kde4/konqbrowser.desktop)

Note !
    If your firefox is in the home folder (Linux is searching along the path/1/):

examples - check before use !
    Exec=/home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/firefox/firefox
    and same with the icon:
    Icon=/home/<YOUR_NAME_HERE>/firefox/icons/mozicon128.png

/1/ Here path tells:
    Code:
    $PATH
    bash: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: How to create a shortcut on a panel ?

Thanks ! It is exactly what I was looking for

Comment

Working...
      X