Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email

Ok removed evolution and no change. Made sure everything is up to date. I notice when I try to create a new message I get a lot of hard drive activity and then the crash occurs. Not sure if any of this helps. In kubuntu is there anything that keeps track of crashes for diagnostic purposes?

Comment

"Troubleshooting by observation."

This is a slower process, but often leads to insight into a problem. Assuming that after Evolution is un-installed, and Kmail still isn't behaving correctly, I would then (using Synaptic) un-install Kmail, and again, tell Synaptic to completely remove the package. Then another reboot, followed by reinstalling Kmail with Synaptic. Reconfigure Kmail for your POP and SMTP settings and check it out. IF Kmail still misbehaves, then I would use Synaptic to un-install Kontact - completely. And again, reboot, followed by reinstalling Kontact using Synaptic.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the advice doing it now.

Comment

Did the uninstall and reinstall of Kmail no change. One thing I did notice is my email and settings were still there after uninstall and reinstall. Is this normal? I did select for complete removal. Uninstalling Kontact now

Comment

Another approach to take, after reinstalling kontact, if the situation persists, is to rename the hidden folder used by kmail. You'll need to quit kmail if you have it running before doing so.

The simplest way to rename the kmail folder is to open a console and type:
            Code:
            mv .kde/share/apps/kmail .kde/share/apps/kmail_BAD
            Then start up kmail. The folder will be recreated with default settings. You'll have to reconfigure for your ISP email account.

Comment

Well after the last round of uninstalls the OS is so screwed I'm going to have to reload it. Doing it right now. On a M$ for now. I'll update this topic after reload. Jason

Comment

Ok I'm on the live CD now. Email is working fine. I'll post again after loading OS.

Comment

Ok the reload fixed the problem all is good in the Penguin kingdom again. Thanks to all that helped with the problem. I think M$ is finally toast

Comment

Glad you got it resolved, even if it required a reinstall. It probably won't be the last time you do so - I've reinstalled on occasion too.

Return to your initial post in this thread, click the modify button, and you can add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Thanks again for the help. Jason

Comment

Re: Kmail and Evolution crash when sending or forwarding email(Solved)

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X